Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Can the President nuke anybody he wants with NO OVERSIGHT, whatsoever????? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=828683)

• Nov 10, 2016, 05:50 AM
    excon
    Can the President nuke anybody he wants with NO OVERSIGHT, whatsoever?????
    Hello:

Well, of course, he can. Right wingers will tell you differently, but they're lying.. They'll tell you that he has to get APPROVAL from some bureaucrat, and then get APPROVAL from his generals... That's LAUGHABLE on its face, when you consider that he has ONLY 9 minutes to shoot or not. I say that, because the assumption under which the president would FIRE his nukes, is that the ENEMY has already FIRED theirs and they're on the way.

His handlers took his Twitter account away from him during the last days of the campaign, because they KNEW he couldn't be trusted. Now, NOBODY, but NOBODY can take away his nuclear bombs..

excon
  • Nov 10, 2016, 06:21 AM
    joypulv
    I'm exhausted.
  • Nov 10, 2016, 09:24 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I'm exhausted.

Hello again, joy:

Hold on. The fight has just begun, and it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

excon
  • Nov 10, 2016, 10:08 AM
    tomder55
    we're getting lethargicfrom aiming at logic,let's put a stop to that.if you don't love nonsense,i'll knock off your hat!nonsense, nonsense,simply can't do without it.....we must never be grave,this nonsense will savethe blooming human race.

The President cannot (I repeat CANNOT ) unilaterally use the nuclear codes to launch a nuclear attack. We enforces a two­ person rule for nuclear activation at every level. At the highest level, the President jointly issue launch orders with the Secretary of Defense. The rule continues down the line, with commanding officers and executive officers working in tandem, and missile operators agreeing on launch order validity.Anyone in the cabinet can invoke Sec 4 of the 25th Amendment if they think the President had gone kooko for cocoa puffs .
  • Nov 10, 2016, 10:49 AM
    excon
    Hello again, Tom:

Yeah.. My logic is left wing.. Clearly incomprehensible to some.. I've read those words before.. They wrote 'em down and put 'em in a book and called it a NUCLEAR DIRECTIVE.. Now, THAT'S incomprehensible..

So, what happens if he can't FIND the Secretary of Defense, and how long should he look for him anyway??? And, WHO, particularly in the cabinet, would KNOW what Trump was doing and would have time to invoke Sec. 4??

We're talking 30 minutes here. There's NO time to convene a meeting or a conference call. And, he doesn't even have the entire 30 minutes, either.. We'll get blown to bits.. If what you're telling me, is that TWO keys must be entered into some gadget BEFORE the Commander in Chief can BE the Commander in Chief, and those TWO people DON'T travel together, then we're doomed...

So, tell me again, HOW that directive would work ON the ground, in REAL time, when MISSILES are in the air headed our way??

excon
  • Nov 10, 2016, 12:31 PM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Tom:

Yeah.. My logic is left wing.. Clearly incomprehensible to some.. I've read those words before.. They wrote 'em down and put 'em in a book and called it a NUCLEAR DIRECTIVE.. Now, THAT'S incomprehensible..

So, what happens if he can't FIND the Secretary of Defense, and how long should he look for him anyway??? And, WHO, particularly in the cabinet, would KNOW what Trump was doing and would have time to invoke Sec. 4??

We're talking 30 minutes here. There's NO time to convene a meeting or a conference call. And, he doesn't even have the entire 30 minutes, either.. We'll get blown to bits.. If what you're telling me, is that TWO keys must be entered into some gadget BEFORE the Commander in Chief can BE the Commander in Chief, and those TWO people DON'T travel together, then we're doomed...

So, tell me again, HOW that directive would work ON the ground, in REAL time, when MISSILES are in the air headed our way??

excon

What ? You think he can just press a red button like Hillary's reset button to launch ? Nope ;The so called ' Football 'does not have a launch button. It has launch and targetting codes, and instructions on how to read them. The authorization to launch MUST be passed down the chain of command and anyone in the chain can declare it an illegal order. This is all silly fearmongering . I don't like Trump either .But this is the same bs they gave Reagan ,and GW Bush;and Goldwater before them . They too were trigger finger crazy cowboys who would launch on a whim .
  • Nov 10, 2016, 03:14 PM
    excon
    Hello again, Tom:

I cite the following CNN article:

How the president launches an atomic bomb - CNNPolitics.com

and I pull out the relevant quote...

"The president has supreme authority to decide whether to use America's nuclear weapons. Period. Full stop," said the Arms Control Association's Kingston Reif. A president could only be stopped by mutiny, he said, and more than one person would have to disobey the president's orders.

excon
  • Nov 10, 2016, 06:50 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    It also comes down to the Officers in the bunker. Having been there, they have test codes almost every day, so they in the bunker just press codes given them. They will not know the real code from a test code, till the firing process begins.

The issue is, not the nukes but Trump is for business growth, which will require international trade. I think you will see relationships with most foreign nations grow.
  • Nov 10, 2016, 07:26 PM
    paraclete
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

The issue is, not the nukes but Trump is for business growth, which will require international trade. I think you will see relationships with most foreign nations grow.

I think it would be good if we could go from free trade to fair trade
  • Nov 11, 2016, 08:24 PM
    earl237
    I'm sure not thrilled about Trump having nukes either but I'm also very worried about things like the environment, international trade, civil rights, gun control, the normalization of racism, sexism and bullying. There are many anti-Trump protests and riots going on now but they should have protested in the voting booth and not in the streets.
  • Nov 12, 2016, 03:59 AM
    paraclete
    Quote:

Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    I'm sure not thrilled about Trump having nukes either but I'm also very worried about things like the environment, international trade, civil rights, gun control, the normalization of racism, sexism and bullying. There are many anti-Trump protests and riots going on now but they should have protested in the voting booth and not in the streets.

Right I hear 4% voted in DC probably the same other places where Dilliary lost proving you cant ignore or take the electorate for granted
  • Nov 12, 2016, 06:25 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

they protest in the safe confines of Hillaryland . They should take their protest to small town America and see the greeting they get .
  • Nov 12, 2016, 06:49 AM
    talaniman
    Quote:

Hillary won the POPULAR vote of the people, but in the American republic system of democracy, the President is elected in the ELECTORAL COLLEGE.
  • Nov 12, 2016, 07:09 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Hillary won the POPULAR vote of the people, but in the American republic system of democracy, the President is elected in the ELECTORAL COLLEGE.

November 8, 2016 General Election - Voter Turnout

Total 4,269,970 2,777,810 65.05% 11/12/2016
    1:12 AM
    11/12/2016
    3:30 PM

Don't know who you heard that from Clete, but clearly they were mistaken!

Hillary did hit her target vote across the board. Her 2 big mistakes were ignoring the Bernie college vote ;and dismissing the relevance of the 'forgotten men and women' .
    Quote:

As soon as A observes something which seems to him wrong, from which X is suffering, A talks it over with B, and A and B then propose to get a law passed to remedy the evil and help X. Their law always proposes to determine what C shall do for X . I want to show you what manner of man he is. I call him the Forgotten Man. he is the man who never is thought of.... He works, he votes, generally he prays—but he always pays..."
    ( William Graham Sumner)

Whether Trump has anything to offer them remains to be seen, His rhetoric and I believe his is instincts drift toward Democratic solutions ie big government . I think he will disappoint them ultimately . But he did tap into that nerve.
  • Nov 12, 2016, 07:16 AM
    talaniman
    Can't wait to see how Trump resolves his outstanding lawsuits, drains the swamp, or how his business assets will be managed. Big difference between campaign rhetoric and actually governing though, as he will soon find out. :D
  • Nov 12, 2016, 07:37 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Can't wait to see how Trump resolves his outstanding lawsuits, drains the swamp, or how his business assets will be managed. Big difference between campaign rhetoric and actually governing though, as he will soon find out. :D

I don't expect he will be able .Then again ;I am also sure that someone who had prepared her whole life for the job would not fare any better .
  • Nov 12, 2016, 07:59 AM
    talaniman
    We may never know what Hillary would have done, except that the scrutiny would have been tremendous, and LOUD, but I suspect the scrutiny of the Donald and what he does will be as tremendous and LOUD if not MORE SO.
  • Nov 28, 2016, 01:10 PM
    earl237
    Just after the election, there were stories saying that the president has unilateral authority to launch a nuclear strike but a few days ago, I read another report saying that the defence secretary could simply refuse to enter his codes and that there is zero chance that a rogue president could launch nukes. I sure hope the second story is true.
  • Nov 29, 2016, 08:41 AM
    excon
    Hello earl:

Consider this.. The ENEMY missiles are IN the air HEADED our way. The president has 9 minutes to SHOOT or not. And, you think he has TIME to look for the Secretary of Defense?????? Dude!!

Look.. There's some stuff that they wrote down in a book, and called it a strategy.. But, you can PLAINLY see that it's deficient..

excon