Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Recipes (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=512)
-   -   Turkey burgers or meat loaf recipes (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=65660)

• Feb 23, 2007, 01:22 PM
    JoeCanada76
    Turkey burgers or meat loaf recipes
    I decided to try something different and I enjoy my meat loaves. I have used beef, and beef and pork mixed. Never ever with turkey.

Does anybody have any recipes?

Thank you in advance.

Joe
  • Feb 23, 2007, 02:16 PM
    shygrneyzs
    Turkey Loaf

Things You'll Need
    1/2 c. finely chopped onion
    1/4 c. milk
    1 slightly beaten egg
    2 tbsp. currant jelly - melted
    1/4 tsp. dry crushed rosemary
    2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
    1 c. chopped broccoli
    1 1/2 lbs. raw ground turkey
    2/3 c. shredded carrots
    1/4 tsp. garlic salt
    1/2 c. fine unseasoned bread crumbs
    1/2 tsp. crushed dry thyme
    1/3 c. chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 tsp. black pepper

Instructions
    STEP 1: Combine egg, bread crumbs, onion, milk, thyme, rosemary, garlic salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
    STEP 2: Add the turkey and mix well.
    STEP 3: Pat the turkey mixture into a 12-by-8-inch rectangle atop a piece of wax paper. Set aside.
    STEP 4: Steam the broccoli, carrots and bell peppers for 3 to 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
    STEP 5: Stir in the Parmesan.
    STEP 6: Spread the vegetables over the turkey mixture to within 1 inch of the sides.
    STEP 7: Starting at the short end, roll the turkey tightly, using the wax paper to help you lift the turkey mixture. Peel the wax paper away as you roll.
    STEP 8: Place the turkey loaf in a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
    STEP 9: Bake the turkey loaf for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until the meat is no longer pink.
    STEP 10: Brush with melted jelly, if desired, and serve. (The jelly will add a nice color and a sweet edge, but you can skip it.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TURKEY MEATLOAF
    Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 1 1/2 hr

Click photo to enlarge
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 medium carrot, cut into 1/8-inch dice
    3/4 lb cremini mushrooms, trimmed and very finely chopped in a food processor
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon ketchup
    1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs (from 2 slices firm white sandwich bread)
    1/3 cup 1% milk
    1 whole large egg, lightly beaten
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten
    1 1/4 lb ground turkey (mix of dark and light meat)
    Accompaniment: roasted red pepper tomato sauce or ketchup
    Special equipment: a meat thermometer or an instant-read thermometer

Preheat oven to 400°F.
    Cook onion and garlic in oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add carrot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and they are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, parsley, and 3 tablespoons ketchup, then transfer vegetables to a large bowl and cool.

Stir together bread crumbs and milk in a small bowl and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in egg and egg white, then add to vegetables. Add turkey and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to vegetable mixture and mix well with your hands. (Mixture will be very moist.)

Form into a 9- by 5-inch oval loaf in a lightly oiled 13- by 9- by 2-inch metal baking pan and brush meatloaf evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup. Bake in middle of oven until thermometer inserted into meatloaf registers 170°F, 50 to 55 minutes.

Let meatloaf stand 5 minutes before serving

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are just two. Here is the Google page for recipes:

turkey loaf - Google Search

I have made turkey loaf just like regular meat loaf and it works fine too.

Happy eating!
  • Feb 23, 2007, 02:27 PM
    JoeCanada76
    Thank you very much. I was thinking along the same lines. Just do it exactly the same as a regular meat loaf. Thank you for the recipes. I think I might add or take away some ingredients. I like to experiment too.

Joe

Oh, I really hope it is happy eating. (;
  • Feb 23, 2007, 02:42 PM
    curlybenswife
    I love making my own burgers Joe I experiment all the time adding different sauces like chili sauce or bbq to the wet mixture my favorite at the moment is,

Frying off the onions and adding what ever mince I have and then plonking in the sauce and half a tin of sweet corn then frying them off.
    Can't comment on meat loaf I'm not a fan but if you have a recipe you use already get adventurous and have a play that's what cookings about after all.
  • Feb 23, 2007, 03:20 PM
    JoeCanada76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    I love making my own burgers Joe i experiment all the time adding different sauces like chilli sauce or bbq to the wet mixture my favorite at the moment is,

frying off the onions and adding what ever mince i have and then plonking in the sauce and half a tin of sweet corn then frying them off.
    Can't comment on meat loaf im not a fan but if you have a recipe you use already get adventurous and have a play thats what cookings about after all.

For my meatloafs and burgers I actually usually use the same ingredients I do not change nothing. With the turkey on the other hand it might be different. I think I will make burgers.

I was going to cook it tonight but I think I will cook everything for tomorrow nights dinner.

I was thinking of Turkey burgers, corn on the cob, and a baked potato or mashed potatoes.

What do you guys think?
  • Feb 23, 2007, 03:24 PM
    curlybenswife
    What does Lily fancey?? I think she should choose hehehehehe
  • Feb 23, 2007, 03:25 PM
    JoeCanada76
    She said it doesn't matter, I think she does not care because I am the one that is doing the cooking. Lol

Joe
  • Feb 23, 2007, 03:26 PM
    shygrneyzs
    What time is dinner?
  • Feb 23, 2007, 03:27 PM
    curlybenswife
    Well you go make what takes your fancey and male sure she enjoys every bite after all the little man will be gaining from it too :D go get your hands dirty and enjoy xxxx
  • Feb 23, 2007, 03:32 PM
    JoeCanada76
    That is for tomorrow. Tonight I am cooking some haddock and homemade potato wedges and salad. Oh, the damn alarm just went off. I just sent lily and joshua in the room because of the smoke. Lily is laughing at me and making fun of me. Ha HA your burning things. It is usually her hint. So the first time I do it she has to rub it in. lol

Joe
  • Feb 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
    curlybenswife
    LMAO Lily call the fire brigade ;) you can ogle the men
  • Feb 23, 2007, 07:40 PM
    shygrneyzs
    Super Juice Turkey Burger

1 egg white, slightly beaten
    1/3 cup minced onion
    1/2 cup chopped sweet apples
    1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. crushed sage
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    1/2 lb (I use 1 lb) lean, ground, skinless turkey breast

In bowl, combine first 10 ingredients. Add turkey, mix well. With moist fingers, shape mixture into 4 patties. Preheat grill.. Place patties on grill and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can tweak this any way you want as far as spices. Sometimes I leave out the sage and nutmeg. My oldest son likes red pepper flakes instead.
  • Feb 23, 2007, 07:57 PM
    JoeCanada76
    Thank you that sounds good. I think I will use a whole egg and the apple sounds like an interesting addition to the recipe. Sounds like a gem.
  • Feb 23, 2007, 07:58 PM
    christian48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    I decided to try something different and I enjoy my meat loaves. I have used beef, and beef and pork mixed. Never ever with turkey.

Does anybody have any recipes?

Thank you in advance.

Joe

Use 1/2 cup chopped onion
    1T. Salt
    1/2 T. pepper
    1 can diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
    2 slices wheat bread
    1 large egg
    4 crackers-crumble up
    1/2 bell pepper
    1 celery slice

Using one pound turkey defrosted, fold in all the above ingredients and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours {depending on oven}