Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Crafts (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Value of antique singer sewing machine & table (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=308673)

• Jan 26, 2009, 12:43 AM
    houseofcarol
    value of antique singer sewing machine & table
    I was recently given an antique Singer electric sewing machine. The serial number is G8428853. It is very ornate. The decals and paint look nearly new, no rust. The machine is in a wooden case with bent wood rounded top. The machine does run very well. It has the original foot pedel(this is very unique). It also came with a portable table. The table has an art deco look, simple tapered legs, no drawers, just a simple table. The machine sits in the cabinet in it's wooden case bottom. For ease of fit each end of the table slides out to accommodate the machine.
    The table is also in excellent condition.
    Does anyone have an idea of the machines value?
    I don't plan to sell it - just curious.

Thank You:
    rolleyes:
  • Jan 26, 2009, 01:04 AM
    Clough

Hi, houseofcarol!

How exactly does the serial number look, please? Are there an periods in between the numbers? There are two sets of numbers that begin with the letter "G" that can be found on the Singer site. Also, does it state anywhere as to what Series the machine is?

Thanks!
  • Jan 26, 2009, 01:19 AM
    houseofcarol

There is only the letter G then the numbers 8428853, one letter and 7 numbers..
    I assume it is the G series and the singer site indicates model 15, however it is very ornate with red green and gold decal work>

Thaqnks
  • Jan 26, 2009, 01:24 AM
    Clough

Did you check out the information that can be found via clicking on both of these links for that site?

SINGER® SEWING CO. | Support: Serial Numbers

http://www.singerco.com/pdf/SINGER_G_nos.pdf

Thanks!
  • Jan 26, 2009, 01:29 AM
    houseofcarol

Sure did, these were very helpful. But not quite enough.
  • Jan 26, 2009, 01:39 AM
    Clough

Yeah, I know...

So, it would seem that you have a machine that's dated at being manufactured in 1920.

Would you be able to post some a couple of images of it here, please?

Thanks!
  • Jan 26, 2009, 01:46 AM
    houseofcarol

Sure I'll take some pictures tomorrow and get them posted.
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Carol
  • Jan 26, 2009, 01:52 AM
    Clough

That would be cool!

You know that what something is worth monetarily greatly depends on what someone is willing to pay for it.

If we do have some images and go searching for similar machines, then we should be able to come up with a ballpark figure as far as possible monetary value.

Thanks!
  • Feb 3, 2009, 09:34 PM
    polly123

Your Singer sewing machine was made in 1910 in Elizabeth, New Jersey.. At a factory named Elizabethport. There were 15,000 made of this series...
    Clough is correct, the monetary value is what someone is willing to pay.. Mostly by someone that wants it for sentimental value , like, my grandmother had one like this or just for the antique furniture look of the cabinet... It is very diffucult to set a value on an antique sewing machine.
  • Feb 4, 2009, 08:58 AM
    houseofcarol

Thank you very much. Both Polly and Clough.
    I just haven't had time to post the pictures.
    I was just curious as to the value of the machine. I have no intention of selling, the machine is beautiful. I really just want to document as much information as possible about all of my machines. I love sewing machines, they are a passion to me.
    Once again Thank You very very much.
  • Feb 5, 2010, 07:24 PM
    ashluvsfoo
    I just found out we got one from 1904!
  • Mar 29, 2010, 03:26 AM
    pca29755

I have a wheeler and wilson d9 sewing machine on a table serial no is 2527207 and it is dated aug 18th 1885 I was wondering what the value is and where I could sell it
  • Mar 29, 2010, 12:36 PM
    Clough
    Old and now archived thread that isn't generally visible unless someone visits the forum topic area where it's located or, is notified that there is activity on the thread because a person might have already posted on it. Plus, it's the thread of someone else and this place doesn't work the same way that a chat room does.

If you have a new question, please do start a new thread so that your question will get the most exposure.

Thanks!
  • Apr 22, 2010, 01:04 AM
    Clough
    Thread CLOSED.