Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Fish (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=516)
-   -   Cloudy fish tank (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=136596)

• Oct 3, 2007, 09:08 AM
    chris303
    Cloudy fish tank
    I just got a 28litre tank and have been running it for two days now with no fish in.I use the filter that came with the tank and have put nutrafin water conditioner and biological aquarium supplement.but when I got home today the water was cloudy . Is this normal and will it go away and when will it be safe to add fish?
    Oh it's a cold water tank.
  • Oct 3, 2007, 10:20 AM
    AKaeTrue
    The biological supplement is probably what is causing the cloudy water.
    If you bought a live active supplement, which is live beneficial bacteria that feeds on fish waste and old food, it needs a food source in order to survive.
    The dying beneficial bacteria will cloud the water.
    Or, it could be a bacterial bloom - meaning that the biological supplement you added to the water began to die (creating a food source) and the remaining
    Bacteria that didn't die started producing more bacteria to compensate for the losses and is feeding off the dead bacteria.
    This rapid bacterial growth causes cloudy water. But without a food source the process will continue to repeat itself.
    Either way, since the bacterial issue is so complicated and confusing and already off on the wrong foot,
    It will be easier and less frustrating to empty the water and start over.

Add 1 fish to the tank and follow the instructions for the recommend time and use of the biological supplement before adding more fish.
    Using this product is good when fish are providing the food source and your aquarium will be cycled and ready for more fish after the process is complete.
    Starting over will allow the aquarium to cycle in the steps intended. You can read about the aquarium cycle here.
    Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
  • Oct 4, 2007, 08:49 AM
    chris303
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    The biological supplement is probably what is causing the cloudy water.
    If you bought a live active supplement, which is live beneficial bacteria that feeds on fish waste and old food, it needs a food source in order to survive.
    The dying beneficial bacteria will cloud the water.
    Or, it could be a bacterial bloom - meaning that the biological supplement you added to the water began to die (creating a food source) and the remaining
    bacteria that didn't die started producing more bacteria to compensate for the losses and is feeding off the dead bacteria.
    This rapid bacterial growth causes cloudy water. But without a food source the process will continue to repeat itself.
    Either way, since the bacterial issue is so complicated and confusing and already off on the wrong foot,
    it will be easier and less frustrating to empty the water and start over.

Add 1 fish to the tank and follow the instructions for the recommend time and use of the biological supplement before adding more fish.
    Using this product is good when fish are providing the food source and your aquarium will be cycled and ready for more fish after the process is complete.
    Starting over will allow the aquarium to cycle in the steps intended. You can read about the aquarium cycle here.
    Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the help,I will try it out and let you know how it goes.
  • Oct 4, 2007, 11:09 AM
    AKaeTrue
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chris303
    thanks for the help,i will try it out and let you know how it goes.

You're welcome, keep me posted.
  • Oct 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
    AKaeTrue
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chris303
    thanks for the advice mate, i now have 6 very happy healthy fish in the tank at the moment,who are enjoying crystal clear water. what are the best tank cleaning fish to get?
    Glad to hear things are going well.
    So that I can give you some good suggestions on compatible tank mates that may help keep the tank tidy, what fish do you already have?