Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Word Processing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   How to convert pdf to a fillable form (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=176841)

• Jan 26, 2008, 08:35 AM
    maria2day
    How to convert pdf to a fillable form
    How can I make a pdf file that I received in my email fillable? It is a job application and Id like it to look nice. I have Office 2003 Professional and Adobe Reader 8.0
  • Jan 26, 2008, 08:51 AM
    ScottGem
    You can't with what you have. What you need is a utility like OmniForm which can scan a document and make it into a fillable form.

You might also look into PaperPort. It comes with a FormTyper utility that does a similar thing.
  • Jan 26, 2008, 01:52 PM
    KISS
    The full version of Acrobat will work as well. You don't have to turn it into a true form though.
    Just Annotate with a text tool if you just have to do it once.
  • Jan 27, 2008, 07:06 PM
    seahwk83
    There is an app that can do that now, it's called Able2Extract - it will convert your pdf file to a word doc so you can edit through word

Convert PDF to Excel, Word with Able2Extract PDF Converter. Free Trial. Able2Extract
  • Jan 27, 2008, 07:21 PM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by seahwk83
    there is an app that can do that now, it's called Able2Extract - it will convert your pdf file to a word doc so you can edit through word

Convert PDF to Excel, Word with Able2Extract PDF Converter. Free Trial. Able2Extract

Have you tried it? Its my experience that such apps don't work well with heavily formatted documents like forms.
  • Jan 27, 2008, 09:43 PM
    seahwk83
    I tried it when I first got it as a must have app to make sure it was worth the time and the PDF that I had tried worked fine - once converted it opened office word with the editabel document and then I was able to save as pdf, word etc//
    I did not try a Huge pdf file, but at first look and experience it worked nicely
  • Jan 28, 2008, 06:37 AM
    ScottGem
    What was the document you converted like? I'm sure it works fine on a plain letter but a form is a different matter with a lot of lines, spacing issues, different fonts, etc. Its not the size of the PDF that matters it's the way its formatted. I've used Nuance PDF Converter and it does a great job with straight text, but when you through in a lot of formatting, it loses it.

Since the OP is dealing with a job application it really needs to look EXACTLY like the paper application. That's why I think using a utility like Form Typer, which adds a layer on top of the scanned form or PDF for the typed in text,is a better option.
  • Jan 28, 2008, 05:58 PM
    seahwk83
    I suppose Omni page would be the best bet in this situation, lots of good points to consider when chooing one that will work for a particular situation. Ominpage has worked well also for myself
  • May 5, 2008, 04:27 PM
    sveta
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maria2day
    How can I make a pdf file that I received in my email fillable? It is a job application and Id like it to look nice. I have Office 2003 Professional and Adobe Reader 8.0

I used to have the same problem two years ago when I was applying to college. I am international student so it`s more appropriate to print my information instead of writing it by hand. My handwriting is horrible and sometimes unreadable. On-line PDF form Filler, Editor, Type on PDF ; Fill, Print, Email, Fax and Export saved my life at that time. I use it all the time now filling my job applications. It`s really convenient because you don`t have to install any software and it`s cheap.
  • May 5, 2008, 08:42 PM
    seahwk83
    Nice link, should be very useful, thanks