Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Taxes (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=320)
-   -   Tax in Texas (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=61768)

• Feb 10, 2007, 11:13 AM
    vicky1981
    Tax in Texas
    Hi,

I will be moving to a new company in College Station (Texas) on H1B. What will be tax on my income? My package is USD 50,000 per annum. Can I save the tax by investing my income somewhere ?

Thanks & Regards
    Vicky
  • Feb 10, 2007, 11:39 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    Vicky:

WHEN did you arrive in Texas?
  • Feb 11, 2007, 11:17 AM
    taxsearcher
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vicky1981
    Hi,

College Station (Texas)

Sorry to hear it, you have my sympathy. ;)
  • Feb 11, 2007, 10:26 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    TaxSearcher:

Sarcasm does NOT become you!
  • Feb 13, 2007, 11:55 AM
    vicky1981
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Vicky:

WHEN did you arrive in Texas?

I have not yet arrived to TEXAS. I will be joining the company on 1st March...
  • Feb 13, 2007, 11:56 AM
    vicky1981
    Quote:

Originally Posted by taxsearcher
    Sorry to hear it, you have my sympathy. ;)

But why?? Is this not a Koool place dear! ;)
  • Feb 13, 2007, 11:58 AM
    vicky1981
    Quote:

TaxSearcher:

Sarcasm does NOT become you!

If you can help me out to find out the answer that will be great!
  • Feb 13, 2007, 03:21 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    Vicky:

Assuming you file as a single person and can claim only your personal exemption and the standard deduction, your federal tax will be $6,939 on $50,000 in annual income. Texas has no state income tax.

You will also be liable for Social Security (at 6.2%) and Medicare (1.45%), which tax at the flat rates noted above.

You can reduce your income tax by investing $4,000 in a traditional IRA, but only if you cannot participate in your employer's retirement plan, which you probably cannot until you have been with the company for a few years. If you can stand paying the income tax noted above, you should actually go woth a Roth IRA. It generates NO immediate tax benefit, but it grows tax-free. That allows it to be a great retirement benefit if you leave it alone.
  • Feb 13, 2007, 03:51 PM
    taxsearcher
    I guess if you are into cow tipping and college boys playing dress up as soldiers then you'll love it!

I agree with ATE. But if you are just moving to the US for the first time, your situation will differ a little.
  • Feb 14, 2007, 11:14 AM
    vicky1981
    Quote:

Vicky:

Assuming you file as a single person and can claim only your personal exemption and the standard deduction, your federal tax will be $6,939 on $50,000 in annual income. Texas has no state income tax.

You will also be liable for Social Security (at 6.2%) and Medicare (1.45%), which tax at the flat rates noted above.

You can reduce your income tax by investing $4,000 in a traditional IRA, but only if you cannot participate in your employer's retirement plan, which you probably cannot until you have been with the company for a few years. If you can stand paying the income tax noted above, you should actually go woth a Roth IRA. It generates NO immediate tax benefit, but it grows tax-free. That allows it to be a great retirement benefit if you leave it alone.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the effort. One more thing. The final figure of tax in % to my total income will be 13.878 (( 6939/50000) * 100 ) + 6.2 + 1.45 = 21.528 % of $ 50,000.
    Is this correct ? These figures are applicable on H1B or not ? As I am having H1B.

Thanks & Regards
    Vivek Ranjan
  • Feb 14, 2007, 10:43 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    Vivek:

Yes, that sounds about right!
  • Feb 17, 2007, 12:57 PM
    vicky1981
    Quote:

Vicky:

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the effort. One more thing. The final figure of tax in % to my total income will be 13.878 (( 6939/50000) * 100 ) + 6.2 + 1.45 = 21.528 % of $ 50,000.
    Is this correct ? These figures are applicable on H1B or not ? As I am having H1B.

Thanks & Regards
    Vivek Ranjan
  • Feb 17, 2007, 04:43 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    Vivek:

Yes, that's about right!
  • Feb 17, 2007, 05:28 PM
    taxsearcher
    Not only do you have to pay all that tax but you also have to live with all those Aggies :eek: . Lucky you, huh ;)
  • Feb 17, 2007, 11:01 PM
    vicky1981
    Quote:

Hi,

Is this correct ? These figures are applicable on H1B or not ? As i am having H1B.

Thanks & Regards
    Vivek Ranjan

Hi,

Thanks & Regards
    Vivek Ranjan
  • Feb 17, 2007, 11:06 PM
    vicky1981
    Quote:

Vivek:

Yes, that sounds about right!

Hi,

Good Day!

Please ignore my earlier update as I had not seen your answer. It has been great conversing with expert like you.I will get back to you if I have any questions.:)

Warm wishes...

Thanks & Regards
    Vivek Ranjan
  • Feb 18, 2007, 05:02 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    Okie dokie!

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].
  • Jun 1, 2007, 02:55 PM
    lilyzzzz
    Vicky:
    Need your advice on my situation:
    I am a single and a fresh immigrant came with green card, live in US from
    Dec.2005 and start to work from March, 2006.
    I didn't file tax for 2005 since I didn't have income.
    I filed tax return for 2006 by April,2007 prepared by myself. But I only
    Claimed basic tax exemption of income(first $7000). A friend told me there
    Are more I should be able to get deduction.For instance, state sales tax(I
    Bought a used car), relocation cost(since I came from other country)...
    Also, he said I may qualify for non-resident category.
    Now I am thinking to file a tax amendment.
    If you know what's the typical deductible items for a person like me:
    Single, gross income($60000), no-house,no-dependent, live in TX, US since
    Dec. 2005
    What is the list of the deduction I can claim for credit?
    I appreciate any advice. Please shed some light on the american myth tax
    Regulations..
    Many many thanks...
    --

Quote:

Hi,

I will be moving to a new company in College Station (Texas) on H1B. What will be tax on my income? My package is USD 50,000 per annum. Can i save the tax by investing my income somewhere ?

Thanks & Regards
    Vicky

• Jun 4, 2007, 07:45 AM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    Lily:

You CAN claim relocations costs using Form 3903.

The sales tax is an ITEMIZED deduction, which most people cannot claim unless they own a home and are paying a home mortgage.

You will have to amend your return using Form 1040X.

If you want help, contact me at the email address below.