Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Books & Literature (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   A great book for young adults (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=237003)

• Jul 13, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Iliveforsoccer
    A great book for young adults
    I'm looking for a great book for young adults with no fantasy.
  • Jul 14, 2008, 08:28 AM
    HistorianChick
    Not sure what genre you like, but I love The Scarlet Pimpernel. I'm not even sure if this is a "young adult" book... when I was a young adult, we didn't have classifications like that! :)

If you like mysteries, Agatha Christie really can't be beat. Classics. If you want titles, just let me know!
  • Jul 14, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Unknown008
    Hey, HC, have you read book of AC?
  • Jul 14, 2008, 08:43 AM
    HistorianChick
    "book of AC"? Agatha Christie? I've read them... all... yeah...
  • Jul 14, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Unknown008
    ALL!! I've got only about seven. Ah beats me! And may I know your favourite one of them?
  • Jul 14, 2008, 08:50 AM
    HistorianChick
    The Secret of Chimneys and N or M?. :)

Yup, she's the best.
  • Jul 14, 2008, 08:52 AM
    HistorianChick
    The Secret Adversary is the first of the Tommy/Tuppence Bereseford series... then N or M? And then By the Pricking of my Thumbs. There are only three in that series... and they're all awesome! :)
  • Jul 14, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Unknown008
    Ah, I've read "By the Pricking of my Thumbs" at least! I'll try to get the two remaining in that series then. And from the Hercule Poirot Series? The most I've read are there.
  • Jul 14, 2008, 09:03 AM
    HistorianChick
    HP is good. The Murder on the Orient Express and The 4:50 from Paddington (think that's the name) are great. I also liked Murder Under the Sun.

I could go on and on about AC. :)
  • Jul 14, 2008, 09:06 AM
    bushg
    When She Was Good by Norma Fox Mazer... I bought it for my daughter and ended up reading it. This is a book about a young girl that turns into a young woman and learns how to let go of the abuse, the voices in her head and find happiness after her depressed mother(abused by her alcoholic father) and abusive sister die... A quick read a little over 200 hundred pages.
  • Jul 14, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Unknown008
    Murder on Orient express, u huh... *got "Lord Edgware Dies" beside me!* 4.50 from Paddington I think is from Marple (read that too ;)). "Murder under the Sun" you say? No, can't find it... Maybe in another series...
  • Jul 14, 2008, 09:51 AM
    HistorianChick
    Evil Under the Sun :) That's it. It was made into a movie with Maggie Smith... pretty good, actually! But I like old movies :)
  • Jul 14, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Unknown008
    Yes, Evil under the sun. found it!
  • Jul 14, 2008, 01:26 PM
    shw3nn
    "The Chocolate War" is a great one.
    S.E. Hinton is always great. "The Outsiders". "Tex".
    Judy Blum has some great young adult stuff.
  • Sep 2, 2008, 10:31 AM
    kphippsa
    Any book by Ellen Hopkins. They are a little dark but they are worth reading and also "Go Ask Alice" .
  • Sep 2, 2008, 10:58 AM
    jjwoodhull
    You should check out some classics... Little Women and Pride and Prejudice are two of my favorites.
  • Sep 2, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Unknown008
    I liked Little Women and I think I have the film Pride and Prejudice, though I've not watched it yet. Ok, will do so during the next holidays!