Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Leaking shower faucet (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=27584)

• Jun 10, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Hardwork
    I have a leaking shower faucet and tried to take faucet apart to change the
    o-ring but was not able to takeout more than a cover for the screw and the screw that was under it. I have not located the ORING CAN any one please help. I have a symmons Temptrol brand.:confused:

You need to replace the washers and seats to stop your leak. Here's how

Instructions for replacing Temptrol spindle, washers and/or seats

Click here for complete parts listing and breakdown of the Temptrol valve. (See attachment at bottom of page)

*Turn off the water to the valve before proceeding!

**Before removing the handle, open the valve as if you were going to take a normal shower (approximately half a turn). CAUTION: Failure to open the valve before removing the cap assembly (TA-12A) will result in damage to the cap and spindle.

Removing valve trim
    Remove the plug button (T-33) from the temperature control handle (T-31).
    Remove the handle screw (T-32) and remove the temperature control handle.
    Remove the two escutcheon screws (T-28). Remove the dial [T-29(A,B,C)] and escutcheon (T-27).
    Remove the dome cover (T-19/20) by unscrewing in a counter-clockwise direction.

Opening valve
    Remove the cap assembly by using a wrench and turning in a counter-clockwise direction, the spindle assembly will come out with it. Separate the cap from the spindle by unscrewing the cap in a counter-clockwise direction.
    Replacing washers or spindle
    At this point you can rebuild or replace the spindle. To rebuild use the TA-9 washer kit. Hint: Place the handle on the spindle so that you can hold it stationary. Remove the hot washer screw (T-5) and the hot washer (T-6). Remove the cold washer (T-8) by using adjustable pliers turning counter-clockwise on the cold washer retainer (T-7).
    Reverse the above steps to reassemble the spindle with the new parts.
    Replacing seats
    To replace the seats you will need to use the seat removal tools (T-35A/B) and TA-4 seat kit. Insert the larger seat tool (T-35A) into the valve until it engages in the notches of larger cold seat near top of valve. CAUTION: Use extreme care to make sure the wrench is engaged into the notches in order to prevent stripping of the notches. Remove by unthreading in a counter-clockwise direction.
    Next insert the smaller tool (T-35B) until it engages in the small hot seat located at the back of the valve. Remove by unthreading in a counter-clockwise direction.
    Reassemble with new seats from TA-4 Kit, reversing steps 9-8. Tighten both seats to 15 foot-pounds of torque.
    Reverse the above steps 5-1 to reassemble your valve and trim. Be sure the spindle assembly is drawn close to the cap before screwing the cap back into the valve. CAUTION: Failure to do this will cause damage to the cap and spindle.
    This may help also http://www.symmons.com/a10.cfm Just click on this link for more information. Good luck. Tom

I have received advice and a exploded view picture on how to take the shower handle off but when I get to the point with the half turn of the handle to take it off I have no luck. Is it stuck or do I have to have the handle turned precisely within a couple of milimeters to get it off?
    Yes I did take out all of the screws.:confused:
    Help

They make a handle puller for just your problem. It works on the same principal as a wheel puller. Most plumber supply houses sell them. Let me know if if it works for you. Regards, Tom

This is what a handle puller looks like. If the handle's fused on the spline this tool will get it off. Good luck, Tom
  • Jan 30, 2012, 01:06 PM
    CliffARobinson
    Speedball1:

Quote:

You need to replace the washers and seats to stop your leak. Here's how

Instructions for replacing Temptrol spindle, washers and/or seats

See attachment at bottom of page for temptrol parts.

*Turn off the water to the valve before proceeding!

**Before removing the handle, open the valve as if you were going to take a normal shower (approximately half a turn). CAUTION: Failure to open the valve before removing the cap assembly (TA-12A) will result in damage to the cap and spindle.

Removing valve trim
    Remove the plug button (T-33) from the temperature control handle (T-31).
    Remove the handle screw (T-32) and remove the temperature control handle.
    Remove the two escutcheon screws (T-28). Remove the dial [T-29(A,B,C)] and escutcheon (T-27).
    Remove the dome cover (T-19/20) by unscrewing in a counter-clockwise direction.

Opening valve
    Remove the cap assembly by using a wrench and turning in a counter-clockwise direction, the spindle assembly will come out with it. Separate the cap from the spindle by unscrewing the cap in a counter-clockwise direction.

Replacing washers or spindle
    At this point you can rebuild or replace the spindle. To rebuild use the TA-9 washer kit. Hint: Place the handle on the spindle so that you can hold it stationary. Remove the hot washer screw (T-5) and the hot washer (T-6). Remove the cold washer (T-8) by using adjustable pliers turning counter-clockwise on the cold washer retainer (T-7).

Reverse the above steps to reassemble the spindle with the new parts.

Replacing seats
    To replace the seats you will need to use the seat removal tools (T-35A/B) and TA-4 seat kit. Insert the larger seat tool (T-35A) into the valve until it engages in the notches of larger cold seat near top of valve. CAUTION: Use extreme care to make sure the wrench is engaged into the notches in order to prevent stripping of the notches. Remove by unthreading in a counter-clockwise direction.

Next insert the smaller tool (T-35B) until it engages in the small hot seat located at the back of the valve. Remove by unthreading in a counter-clockwise direction.

Reassemble with new seats from TA-4 Kit, reversing steps 9-8. Tighten both seats to 15 foot-pounds of torque.

Reverse the above steps 5-1 to reassemble your valve and trim. Be sure the spindle assembly is drawn close to the cap before screwing the cap back into the valve. CAUTION: Failure to do this will cause damage to the cap and spindle.

Good luck. Tom
  • Jan 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
    CliffARobinson
    Hardwork:

Quote:

I have received advice and a exploded view picture on how to take the shower handle off but when I get to the point with the half turn of the handle to take it off I have no luck. Is it stuck or do I have to have the handle turned precisely within a couple of milimeters to get it off?
    Yes I did take out all of the screws.
    Help
  • Jan 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
    CliffARobinson
    Speedball1:

Quote:

They make a handle puller for just your problem. It works on the same principal as a wheel puller. Most plumber supply houses sell them.

Image attached to see what a handle puller looks like. If the handle's fused on the spline this tool will get it off.

Good luck, Tom