Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Fish (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=516)
-   -   Can I put a stick of bamboo in with my Betta? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=753740)

• Jun 14, 2013, 03:23 PM
    AerBear
    Can I put a stick of bamboo in with my Betta?
    My mother has bamboo plants and she recently found a branch of it broken off and it got me thinking, would it be harmful if I put a branch in with my betta? Or will it just rot and die? I have water conditioner so not to worry about that. And I know bamboo aren't a water plant, but it's just an idea. But if anyone knows of any plants that are OK to put with a betta fish please let me know! I'm new at betta owning :) oh and are sucker fish an okay fish mate? I've heard many things but I wanted to make sure before I made any decisions, and I have a pump too guys.
  • Jun 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
    joypulv
    The bamboo will rot. There are water plants for aquariums, salt or fresh water. Not too many floating ones so that the Betta can create a nest if it comes to that. They don't really like other fish except one at mating time. He might kill it.
  • Jun 14, 2013, 08:38 PM
    AerBear
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    The bamboo will rot. There are water plants for aquariums, salt or fresh water. Not too many floating ones so that the Betta can create a nest if it comes to that. They don't really like other fish except one at mating time. He might kill it.

Mind mentioning any plants?
  • Jun 14, 2013, 08:47 PM
    odinn7
    Go to the pet store and find some plants there.

Betta fish can get along with other fish as long as they are not also Betta. You have to be careful though that what you get won't want to nip at their long fins. Betta generally keep to themselves when housed with other fish. Bettas together will fight, usually until one is dead. I have found Tetras to be a friendly, easy going fish that really bother no other fish. Just be careful that you have enough room and filtration to support the amount of fish you are looking at getting.

And as Joy said... no Bamboo... no sticks... the fish doesn't need a playground.
  • Jun 14, 2013, 09:56 PM
    AerBear
    Quote:

Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Go to the pet store and find some plants there.

Betta fish can get along with other fish as long as they are not also Betta. You have to be careful though that what you get won't want to nip at their long fins. Betta generally keep to themselves when housed with other fish. Bettas together will fight, usually until one is dead. I have found Tetras to be a friendly, easy going fish that really bother no other fish. Just be careful that you have enough room and filtration to support the amount of fish you are looking at getting.

And as Joy said...no Bamboo...no sticks....the fish doesn't need a playground.

Thank for your input! It has helped give me an idea :)
  • Jun 15, 2013, 07:30 AM
    odinn7
    I just also thought of Guppies... Guppies are among the most laid-back fish you are ever going to find. I have had Guppies mixed with a Betta before, no problems.
  • Jun 15, 2013, 06:01 PM
    AerBear
    Don't guppies multiply? But that's a really good idea!