Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Pregnancy & New Motherhood (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   Ultrasound ?s (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=161659)

• Dec 11, 2007, 02:16 PM
    stormey44
    Ultrasound ?s
    Hi I am 16 weeks pregnant with my third child and they did an ultrasound but to early to find out what it is now I don't go to the docs until I'm 20 weeks but I really want to know are they any way to tell I got 2 boys so if this is a girl I need to get prepared for it what should I do??
  • Dec 11, 2007, 03:38 PM
    macksmom
    Check in your area for a private ultrasound office.

My older sister found one close to where she lives. She was able to go in there at about 12-14 weeks and found out she was having a girl.
  • Dec 11, 2007, 03:47 PM
    J_9
    It all also depends on your insurance. Your insurance may not cover another ultrasound before 20 weeks. 4 weeks is not too long to wait, since you still have 24 weeks to go.
  • Dec 11, 2007, 04:19 PM
    macksmom
    J9 is right, your doctors office won't do more ultrasounds than medically necessary because your insurance will only cover "x" amount.

But if you could find a private ultrasound office in your area, they would do one for you whenever you want (they don't do insurance, just pay for services). I think my sister's cost like $125 or somewhere around there.
  • Dec 12, 2007, 06:23 AM
    stormey44
    OK how would I find one?
  • Dec 12, 2007, 06:25 AM
    macksmom
    You could Google "ultrasound office (your area)" and see if anything pulls up, or you could just look in the phone book.
  • Dec 12, 2007, 06:26 AM
    stormey44
    OK thank u
  • Dec 12, 2007, 06:27 AM
    macksmom
    No problem :) good luck!
  • Dec 12, 2007, 06:06 PM
    stormey44
    Thank you I look today and can not find one I live in Ohio and I can't find any
  • Dec 12, 2007, 06:09 PM
    macksmom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stormey44
    thank u i look today and can not find one i live in ohio and i can't find any

If you want to PM me and let me know where you live in Ohio. I live in Ohio to, as does my sister (who found the office).

I could get the info from her.
  • Dec 12, 2007, 06:10 PM
    J_9
    Also, you can ask your doctor if he/she will do it and bill you rather than your insurance.
  • Dec 12, 2007, 06:18 PM
    macksmom
    I found this... I think this is where my sister went but I will check with her to make sure.

First Expressions - Specializing in 3D and 4D Prenatal Imaging.
  • Dec 12, 2007, 06:20 PM
    macksmom
    Sorry to keep posting haha but I keep finding more sites.

It really depends where you are located in Columbus.

Try googling this:

"3D ultrasound office (your city, Ohio)"
  • Dec 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
    stormey44
    Thank you I found one now how long do you think I should be before I go? And it be the most accurate?
  • Dec 16, 2007, 05:04 PM
    J_9
    18 - 20 weeks is actually the earliest that the sex of the baby can be determined. And at 18 weeks it still may be too early. Your best bet is to wait until your doctor's appointment at 20 weeks. Remember you will still have another 20 weeks to prepare.
  • Dec 16, 2007, 07:55 PM
    macksmom
    My sister found out she was having a girl when she was about 15 weeks pregnant.

But the earlier you try and find out (before 18-20 weeks) the more room for possible error.
  • Dec 16, 2007, 07:57 PM
    JoeCanada76
    Why not wait until the 20 week scan? Curious about what the urgency is?
  • Dec 16, 2007, 08:02 PM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macksmom
    My sister found out she was having a girl when she was about 15 weeks pregnant.

That is actually a rarity. It rarely happens that determination of sex is made before the 18th week.

Quote:

there are only two scientific ways to determine gender. This can be determined by an ultrasound or amniocentesis. Even if you have had an ultrasound after 20 weeks, it is not 100% accurate in predicting the sex of the baby. Ultrasound technicians, nurses, and doctors can be wrong. Since an amniocentesis looks at the genetic make-up, gender can be determined this way. Normally an amniocentesis is not warranted unless there is a complication in the pregnancy.*
    25th Week of Pregnancy : American Pregnancy Association
  • Dec 16, 2007, 08:19 PM
    macksmom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9
    That is actually a rarity. It rarely happens that determination of sex is made before the 18th week.

Oh I know! Lol, I told her she wouldn't be able to find out until her doctor did the ultrasound at 5 months.

But she did! I was shocked!
  • Dec 17, 2007, 09:30 AM
    stormey44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Why not wait until the 20 week scan? Curious about what the urgency is?

I go to the docs the at 20 weeks but they are not doing another ultrasound they did one at 15 weeks and they could not tell so they are not doing another one