Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Spyware, Viruses, etc. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=477)
-   -   How to keep your files save from Ransomware? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=830341)

• Feb 3, 2017, 12:13 AM
    Williambeck
    How to keep your files save from Ransomware?
    How can I protect my files and folders against Ransomware?
  • Feb 3, 2017, 12:18 AM
    Curlyben
    Backups...
  • Feb 3, 2017, 12:25 AM
    Williambeck
    Can you please explain your word "Backup"
  • Feb 4, 2017, 11:07 AM
    Appzalien
    He means purchase a good backup program like Acronis True Image and an external drive to put the backup images on. Create full backups of your system every month or so onto the external drive. If you get hijacked you can use Acronis's recovery boot disk to restore the last Image you created. You only have to keep 3 or four previous (and the current) images, and can delete the oldest ones to save room. This will let you recover your system not only from ransom wear but also from system instability caused by corruption from a bad power outage as well as the installation of things that screw up your system. If your looking for a software solution any active anti-virus is OK but the best advise is not to visit web sites that will hijack your system, and do not click on website page links or ads unless you sure they're legit. Note that even Legit sites can be compromised.
  • Feb 17, 2017, 01:51 PM
    cmeeks
    The usual in protecting yourself from threats is still good advice here.
    1. Never run as Administrator.
    2 Always keep all software and Operating System up to date
    3. Never click links in emails.
    4. Pay attention to URLs verify that you are actually where you think you are.
    5. Configure and use a firewall either client based or on your router.
    6. Use antivirus and keep it updated.
    7. Do not download or install anything that you did not choose to download and or install.
  • Feb 17, 2017, 01:54 PM
    Curlyben
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cmeeks View Post
    The usual in protecting yourself from threats is still good advice here.
    1. Never run as Administrator.
    2 Always keep all software and Operating System up to date
    3. Never click links in emails.
    4. Pay attention to URLs verify that you are actually where you think you are.
    5. Configure and use a firewall either client based or on your router.
    6. Use antivirus and keep it updated.
    7. Do not download or install anything that you did not choose to download and or install.

Unfortunately, for Ransomware the only one of these that make any difference are: #3, also applies to mail attachments from unknown sources.
  • Feb 17, 2017, 02:24 PM
    smoothy
    I'd also keep backup copies of all important files on a USB hard drive you do NOT leave attached to your computer.

The computer can be easily replaced, your Operating system and hard drive can easily be replaced... what can not be easily replaced are your files and photos you may be saving on it.

If you keep copies elsewhere and take all reasonable precautions as mentioned above... the threat loses significance.