Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Military Service (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=489)
-   -   Military (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=729528)

• Jan 22, 2013, 07:56 AM
    16hisbabygurl04
    Military
    Okay, So My father was in the war of Iraq and he got discharged a few years ago. He is disabled now, and he got a purple heart from president Bush. I kind of need and I kind of want to see his military records. But I can't find anything online for free. I don't really have access to a library or a court house or anything like that. I need help finding a place online to help me see this for free and with NO hidden charges. Can ANYONE help me?
  • Jan 22, 2013, 08:03 AM
    J_9
    Why do you need to see his records?
  • Jan 22, 2013, 08:05 AM
    16hisbabygurl04
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Why do you need to see his records?

So I can get them to him, and so I can look up some stuff. I am curious as well.
  • Jan 22, 2013, 08:06 AM
    J_9
    They aren't online. You can't get them. If he wants them he can request them.
  • Jan 22, 2013, 08:09 AM
    16hisbabygurl04
    Quote:

They aren't online. You can't get them. If he wants them he can request them.

But everyone I have asked said they were, If you think they aren't I will try and find them somewhere else
  • Jan 22, 2013, 08:11 AM
    J_9
    If you are curious, ask your dad.

I still don't understand your need to know.
  • Jan 22, 2013, 08:13 AM
    16hisbabygurl04
    Quote:

If you are curious, ask your dad.

I still don't understand your need to know.

He doesn't remember because of his issues from the war. I need to know so I can help, Plus its for his therapy like I said in the question. I'm curious also, me being his daughter I think I can know these things.
  • Jan 22, 2013, 08:19 AM
    J_9
    How old are you?

If it's for his therapy he can sign a release for his therapist to request this information.

Being his daughter gives you no automatic right to his military information just as you don't have a right to his medical information unless he gives the military and/or his doctors written authorization to release this info to you.

These are personal, private, and protected records.
  • Jan 22, 2013, 08:20 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    They are not available online and would not be free at all.
    Your father will need to write for them, and HE can get them, not you.

So if he does not know and wants to know, he merely asks for them. If he has trouble with it, there will be a service officer at any of the VFW or American Legion Posts that would be glad to help him.

You have no rights as a daughter to see them unless he allows it.
  • Jan 22, 2013, 12:37 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Your father's medical records, quite frankly, are none of your business. You have enough teenage angst going on.

You seem to disagree with experts who have told you you can get his records because other people have said you can. Ask those other people how and then let us know.