Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Car accident -driver in front put her car in reverse and smashed me (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=418214)

• Nov 21, 2009, 10:06 PM
    babybeau
    Car accident -driver in front put her car in reverse and smashed me
    I was sitting in my car at a red light. Traffic was heavy-ish. Suddenly- very suddenly and out of nowhere my car and the car in front of me collided with an enormous impact. I was stunned. I was shocked and confused. Prior to impact my car was absolutely stationary! My chest area ( heart) , forehead , jaw, teeth and lower back were immediately hurting. I was very worried because 2 years ago I was hospitalized with fluid around the heart - which can be caused by trauma to the chest. Somehow it seemed that out of nowhere my car had propelled forward into the next car- at least that's what I foolishl;y assumed.
    As I sat stunned, the woman in the forward car got out of her car and looked at me. Then she pulled to a driveway 2 lanes over. I followed with my car. When I got out of the car I was visibly shaken and confused because I had no clue what happened. The woman's car had no damage. The woman said she felt fine. The woman then said" We can just go our way because there's no damage to my car" Then she said" Oh those godamned srivers who just hit and run these days" To which I replied, "Oh do you think someone hit my car and caused me to hit your car?" She repeated" That's how they are " Meanwhile it looked like my car had about 2000.00 or more in damage and I suggested that we needed to exchange information. I know I should have called the police and my ins co. right then and there but I was in a daze. It felt like something smashed me at 20 miles per hour.
    I took her lic plate # down and we exchanged info.
    I called the police when I got home and was told that we had to both go to the station and file a report the next day. Here I was stupid, trusting me, feeling sorry for the woman because I had to tell her to meet at the police station and she lived 45 minutes away.
    I think she hit me and then tried to get away by not exchanging numbers. Then the next day at the police station she said she really hadn't noticed damage the prior day but that now she sees damage on her bumper. This is a reasonable thing but when she showed me the damage I couldn't believe it. An area of the bumper was slightly separated from the car but what was beneath the separation was all rusted as if this had been an existing damage and she was cashing in on the accident- NOT TO MENTION THAT IT SEEMS SHE IS LYING ABOUT THE REVERSE!!
    Has anyone had experience with reverse accidents?
    Is there a way for ins co's to determine the impact of the damage as to whether it was caused by reverse car impact or foreword moving impact?
    Also, in a physics sense, one's body would definitely respond differently in each scenario.
    How do I prove this?
    Thanks in advance
    Meanwhile it had not even occurred to me that this woman more likely than not, put her car into reverse accidentally and gunned it and hit me.
    I kept thinking that someone from behind must have hit my car but my rear has NO DAMAGE whatsoever!!
  • Nov 22, 2009, 08:27 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by babybeau View Post
    Has anyone had experience with reverse accidents?
    Is there a way for ins co's to determine the impact of the damage as to whether or not it was caused by reverse car impact or foreward moving impact?
    Also, in a physics sense, one's body would definitely respond differently in each scenario.
    How do I prove this?
    Thanks in advance
    Meanwhile it had not even occurred to me that this woman more likely than not, put her car into reverse accidentally and gunned it and hit me.
    I kept thinking that someone from behind must have hit my car but my rear has NO DAMAGE whatsoever!!!

1 - Yes, I've have experience with people who claim the person in front of them backed into them at a stop light.

2 - No, there is no definitive way to tell what happened other than one person is more believable than the other and one version makes more sense than the other person's version.

3 - There would be no way to prove it unless a Physician would state that the injuries occurred from a front hit rather than a back hit.

It makes no sense to me that a person stopped at a light would suddenly throw it into reverse and hit you. I am also concerned (as an investigator) that you refer to what you keep thinking as opposed to what you know happened.
  • Nov 22, 2009, 11:37 AM
    Fr_Chuck

Yes, first all of the issues of past health issues have nothing to do with this.

You have so much"I think" any investigator will assume you are hiding something.

There is no way to really tell afterwards if your car moved forward or hers moved backwards
    ** if you had not moved the cars, you could tell by possible skid marks, and Point of impact by a trained investigator looking at the actual scene of the accident.

Some impact injury on the person would be caused by a roward and some by a backward, if the injury was serious enough

But from what you said, you turn it over to the insurance, and most likely with what little you have proved, your insurance will merely pay.