Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Home Electronics (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   How do I hook up a DVD Recorder/VCR Combo to my TV. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=191850)

• Mar 6, 2008, 04:17 PM
    MarGal
    How do I hook up a DVD Recorder/VCR Combo to my TV.
    I have just purchased a DVD Recorder/VCR Combo in order to copy my old VCR tapes to DVD. I have my TV hooked up to Dish Network. I have tried all day to hook up my new recorder to my TV with no luck. Is there any way of just hooking it up to my TV and not going through my Dish Network at all? I am NOT interested in using it to record from the TV. I only want to copy VCR tapes with it.

I can take a digital picture of the connections and cords if that will help explain what I should do and then email them to whoever is trying to help me. I am desperate!
  • Mar 6, 2008, 04:26 PM
    progunr
    You should be running video and audio Out from the DVD/VCR to the IN puts on the TV.

One (yellow) is for video, One (Red) for right audio, One (White) for left audio.

I should have asked first, does your TV have the inputs on the back for Audio and Video?

If all you have is a coax hook up, you may have some problems with it.

Then, you need to find out how to change the source on the TV from Tuner, to Video 1 or Video 2 or what ever your brand of TV calls it. This may be a source button on the remote,
    Or you may need to access it from the menu function.

Hope this helped?
  • Mar 6, 2008, 04:31 PM
    MarGal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by progunr
    You should be running video and audio Out from the DVD/VCR to the IN puts on the TV.

One (yellow) is for video, One (Red) for right audio, One (White) for left audio.

I should have asked first, does your tv have the inputs on the back for Audio and Video?

If all you have is a coax hook up, you may have some problems with it.

Then, you need to find out how to change the source on the TV from Tuner, to Video 1 or Video 2 or what ever your brand of tv calls it. This may be a source button on the remote,
    or you may need to access it from the menu function.

Hope this helped?

My TV has the inputs for audio and video on the back. Do I even need to use the coax cable if I don't plan to record from the TV?
  • Mar 6, 2008, 04:47 PM
    progunr
    I don't see why.

You should have everything you need through the video and audio hook ups.

One other thing, you may be able to access the video 1 or 2 options by using the channel up or down button. Sometimes when you get to the lowest or highest channel, the next push changes to video.

Good Luck!
  • Mar 6, 2008, 06:20 PM
    MarGal
    Quote:

I don't see why.

One other thing, you may be able to access the video 1 or 2 options by using the channel up or down button. Sometimes when you get to the lowest or highest channel, the next push changes to video.

Good Luck!

I just cannot understand what I am suppose to do:( But thanks for trying to help. Maybe I can get someone out to my house who knows what they're doing.
  • Mar 7, 2008, 08:52 AM
    MarGal
    Quote:

I don't see why.

Good Luck!

I did it!! Thanks so much, I just reread what you said and it worked just using the video & audio hook ups.:)
  • Jan 7, 2012, 02:40 PM
    bbethea
    How to hook up the Combo DVD/VHS to a RCA TV not for recording just to watch video only with the yellow/white/red cords