Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Real Estate Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Eviction (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=20046)

• Feb 7, 2006, 05:42 PM
    puck_man
    Eviction
    In Mississippi, what are the laws concerning a parent evicting an adult child? And what steps would need to be taken.
  • Feb 7, 2006, 05:46 PM
    CaptainForest
    Is this adult child paying you rent?

If you said NO, then no steps need to be taken since they aren't a tenant.

If this child is in fact paying rent, then they must be treated like any tenant would be.

My gut here is that this child isn't paying rent. So you can kick them out.
  • Feb 7, 2006, 07:03 PM
    talaniman
    How old is he?
  • Feb 7, 2006, 07:56 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Set his belongings on the porch and change the locks come to mind.

Tell them when to be out and wave good bye as they leave.

Ground rules should be set as to how long an adult child can stay in a home. If they are working they should pay rent. If they are not working or going to college then they should be given a small amount of time to find a job or be out.

And even if they are working and you no longer want them home, just tell them to get out.

If you want to be real "official" give them a two week written notice.
    Of course if they just won't leave, while I would just move their clothing to the porch, you could go ahead to the court and file to have them evicted.
  • Oct 23, 2007, 08:26 AM
    vectra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    set his belongings on the porch and change the locks come to mind.

Tell them when to be out and wave good bye as they leave.

Ground rules should be set as to how long an adult child can stay in a home. If they are working they should pay rent. If they are not working or going to college then they should be given a small amount of time to find a job or be out.

And even if they are working and you no longer want them home, just tell them to get out.

If you want to be real "official" give them a two week written notice.
    Of course if they just wont leave, while I would just move thier clothing to the porch, you could go ahead to the court and file to have them evicted.

I would dearly love to do this but we have tried it and all he did was refuse to go and then he started to kick the door down. This is when the police were called. All they did was to calm him down and they let him back in. My son then went next door and kicked their door in in the night for calling the police. As nobody saw it they couldn't prove it and so it goes on. I can't believe I have brought up a son who behaves like this when he comes from a solid family home.
  • Oct 23, 2007, 08:29 AM
    vectra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Is this adult child paying you rent?

If you said NO, then no steps need to be taken since they aren't a tenant.

If this child is infact paying rent, then they must be treated like any tenant would be.

My gut here is that this child isn’t paying rent. So you can kick them out.

Yes my son was paying me rent but he has now stopped because this is another form of control. He knows I will have to ask for it and he likes me to have to ask for money.
  • Oct 23, 2007, 08:33 AM
    vectra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman
    How old is he?

He is 20 years old.
  • Apr 10, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Dcsand
    In Florida the law says we can not throw the kids to the curb. We have a son that is not paying rent because he is not working and has no car. We want him out but the police say as long as he has personal belongings in the house he can stay and we are not allowed to throw his stuff out. The cop said we would be taken in... HELP
  • Apr 11, 2008, 03:52 PM
    N0help4u
    You can go to the District court and tell them you want to do a formal eviction on your son.
    Go through the legal process if that doesn't work I don't think anything will.