Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Scholarships & Financial Aid (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=287)
-   -   Scholarships to children of a felon (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=184854)

• Feb 16, 2008, 11:12 PM
    brittanysmith
    Scholarships to children of a felon
    I resently turned eighteen and have been accepted into college. What would be some scholarships for children of felons. My father went to jail when I was five and although recently released he refuses to help me pay for college?

Any help would be greatly appriciated. :)
  • Feb 17, 2008, 02:11 AM
    interinfinity
    You can probably get fafsa money or vocational rehab money in some states.
  • Feb 17, 2008, 03:23 AM
    Clough
    Just because your father committed a felony and did time for it is not any kind of bar to you receiving a scholarship or financial aid of some kind. Also, because he is a convicted felon does not mean that there are some kind of financial aid or scholarship provided for prospective students because of that kind of situation existing. How your grades have been and what your needs are financially that you can't meet on your own here would be the main factors to be considered.

My suggestion would be to start applying for financial aid wherever you want to go to school and see what happens.

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid does look like a good place to start. Hopefully, others will come along and post here with some additional ideas for you.
  • Feb 17, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Clough
    I did just think of something else, and that would be the possibility of child support coming into issue here because you are wanting to continue your schooling beyond high school.

Is your father supposed to be paying child support? Because if he is, it most likely would be possible for it to be continued up to you being a certain age beyond 18 if you are going to go to college.
  • Feb 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
    brittanysmith
    I already did FAFSA and the state in which he lives in does not continue child support after the age of eighteen..
  • Feb 17, 2008, 04:38 PM
    brittanysmith
    I have great grades. Top 20% of my class. Thank you for your help.
  • Feb 17, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Clough
    Are you open to seeing what a number of different colleges or universities have to offer as far as scholarships and/or financial aid? Or, are you intent on going to only one institution?
  • Feb 17, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    There are the same grants, loans and money available to anyone, there is working part time to help pay, there are ROTC programs.
    Some colleges offer better programs than others.
  • Feb 28, 2013, 11:50 AM
    rd1129
    I would rather not give my name out please.

I have a question I'm a past convicted felon not drug just or murder etc not a sex offender. Joy riding. I have two boys 1 is wanting to start college this year fall 2013. I don't make much money in fact I haven't been able to work since Jan 7th 2011 due to my back surgery. I have remarried but she is a disabled vet. So money is so very tight.
    Does any body know other than FASAM is there a way for him to get financial help?He wants to be a police officer in Ok.
    Please don't judge me it was when I was 19 year old. I', now 42 with not even a speeding ticket.
    Just need a little help for Him and his brother in a few years.

Thank you.