Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Money & Services (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Money order (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=340915)

• Apr 13, 2009, 09:00 AM
    this8384
    Money order
    Is there a way to check online if a money order has been processed for payment? I bought it at the Post Office but I can't find anything on their website.
  • Apr 13, 2009, 09:32 AM
    twinkiedooter

I'd go to the branch that you bought it and have then put a tracer on the MO number for you. I doubt you'll find anything online about MO's from the post office. Has to be done in person with the MO stub in your hot little hand.
  • Apr 13, 2009, 09:38 AM
    this8384

Gah, I don't want to! LOL :)

Long story: got a 1099-C after filing taxes and receiving state refund; mailed in amended return and $1900 on 3/18; got an amended 1099-C on 3/23 - they originally recorded that they cancelled the entire amount, rather than just writing off the difference between the account and what we settled it for.

So I'm trying to find out if the MO has been processed so I can mail in ANOTHER amended return; want to make sure it's paid for so that our illustrious government doesn't get confused :)
  • Apr 13, 2009, 09:46 AM
    twinkiedooter

Sorry, but you got to go in person and even THEN it will take up to 2 weeks for our post office to get an answer on the MO being cashed or not.

On the OTHER hand, have you tried calling up the Irritable Refund Service and see if they actually got the money order and cashed your check before you go and send them more bucks? Try talking to a supervisor or (worse yet) go to their offices if near you and talk to them in person. You may have to travel to the big city to do this though and that's even worse of a hassle. Maybe just a friendly phone call might clear up this mystery for you. (Hope so).

Why would you send them a MO in the first place? Is this some sort of new rule where you can't do a personal check instead? Or a cashier's check? I'd never send anyone (even the gov't) a MO for anything. But then, that's just me as I don't trust anyone with MO's.
  • Apr 13, 2009, 01:25 PM
    this8384

Oh, I'm not sending them money this time; I'm getting it back! Even more confusing! LOL

As for the MO: we ran out of checks. We both use our check card a majority of the time, so it really wasn't an issue... till now :)
  • Apr 13, 2009, 02:40 PM
    twinkiedooter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Oh, I'm not sending them money this time; I'm getting it back! Even more confusing! LOL

As for the MO: we ran out of checks. We both use our check card a majority of the time, so it really wasn't an issue....till now :)

Yeah I hear you on running out of checks and using bank card. I write practically zero checks a month and use my card for even $2.00 purchases. Don't carry cash as I spend it too easily. Should have gone to the bank and gotten a cashier's check but it's too late now. I don't trust the Irritable Service one iota for one.

On the lighter side... That's fantastic they are actually sending YOU money back. Did you call and pester them until they gave up??

Hooray for you! P.S. Don't spend it all in one place...