Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Sewage odor from shower drain and washer drain (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=217364)

• May 18, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Menotyou
    Sewage odor from shower drain and washer drain
    I live in a 2 story home. The master bath shower drain has started to smell horribly of sewage the past few weeks as has the drain for the washer in the laundry room directly beneath the master bath. Both drains only have the odor when they seem to be dry (not in use). I have read several snippets from this site and other sources that suggest that the problem with the shower drain is either biofilm or rotting hair mixed with grease from soap. My problem is that I don't want to try a solution for the shower problem only to exacerbate the problem in the laundry room. I am not mechanically minded in any way and am more likely than not to cause a more expensive problem if I have not researched as much as possible (a problem that has happened in the past).

Is it possible that the odors coming from the two sites are one in the same problem? And will the shower solutions I have seen work for both? I need to get this taken care of as soon as I can, I have 3 disabled adults living in my home and no money to spare.
  • May 19, 2008, 06:23 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

My problem is that I don't want to try a solution for the shower problem only to exacerbate the problem in the laundry room.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the shower affecting the washer. Unless they are back to back they use separate vents and tie into the main at different spots. Let's do the shower first. The drain will have to be snaked to remove any smelly gunk that's in there. For your shower, First remove the strainer,(TIP: put the screws in the soap dish. They will be hard to replace if they go down the drain.) Now work your snake past the trap and 6 or 7 feet beyond. When you pull the snake back it should have the hair that was smelling up your shower on the auger tip. Now pour 1/4 gallon of bleach down in the trap and let it set over night. Next morning pour a pan of boiling water down the shower to clear what's left and make your drain smell nice. Do that, get back to me and we'll work on the washer. Good luck, Tom
  • May 19, 2008, 07:26 AM
    albee9
    Or you could try bleach first .

Just pour a couple of cups of bleach down each drain that will kill any orders and it will help keep things clear. But if the oder comes back then do the above
  • May 19, 2008, 07:33 AM
    ballengerb1
    Tom knows I got to jump in at this point with mom's receipe for cleaning that pipe after rodding. Bleach does work great but so does this. Mix 1/2 cup of table salt with 1/2 cup baking soda and dump into the drain followed by a cup of vinegar. Allow to sit overnight and then use that same bucket of boiling water like Tom says. Both rpovide great results , mine's just a bit more fun. You'll know hat I mean when the vinegar hits the soda.