Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Seniors (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=293)
-   -   Retired Couples - Do you sometimes go crazy? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=184787)

• Feb 16, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Brenok
    Retired Couples - Do you sometimes go crazy?
    Okie dokie, hubby and I retired about a year and a half ago at the same time. The problem is - he follows me around like a puppy dog and hates if I leave the house by myself and feels hurt if I tell him I need a "me" day. He doesn't have many interests and no friends since we recently moved to a new state. Please don't suggest activities for him - he is not interested in doing things by himself! Also, he is not a real people person and doesn't like "hangin with the guys." Bummer huh?

We do lots of things when the weather is warm but it is always together. I am a very independent person and sometimes need my space but he just doesn't understand. We both worked for over 30 years and stayed busy with jobs, etc. but now it is like I am having to be a mother hen to a new chickie, and my other kiddos are grown up and out of the house!

Short of feeding him to the aligators, any suggestions? Thanks and bless you!
    B
  • Feb 16, 2008, 07:03 PM
    xphelper
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenok
    Okie dokie, hubby and I retired about a year and a half ago at the same time. The problem is - he follows me around like a puppy dog and hates if I leave the house by myself and feels hurt if I tell him I need a "me" day. He doesn't have many interests and no friends since we recently moved to a new state. Please don't suggest activities for him - he is not interested in doing things by himself! Also, he is not a real people person and doesn't like "hangin with the guys." Bummer huh?

We do lots of things when the weather is warm but it is always together. I am a very independent person and sometimes need my space but he just doesn't understand. We both worked for over 30 years and stayed busy with jobs, etc. but now it is like I am having to be a mother hen to a new chickie, and my other kiddos are grown up and out of the house!!

Short of feeding him to the aligators, any suggestions? Thanks and bless ya!
    B

Hello,

I don't have a magic answer for you; however, if you need time for yourself... take it! And if he balks, he'll get over it and your relationship will be better off in the long run (at least that's what my wife tells me).
  • Feb 16, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    I "semi retired" a few years ago, ( I was in law enforcement) after three days into my retirement, my wife made me a sign, it said ( will shoot people for food) she told me in ever so "loving" words, to go beg money on the corner, collect cans on the road, but get out of her house doing the day.
  • Feb 16, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Woe_Be_Me
    Xhelper
    Ooops, I am a newbie and made a comment on your comment, messed up. I thought I answered the main quote, sorry but you did have a good answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xphelper
    Hello,

I don't have a magic answer for you; however, if you need time for yourself... take it! And if he balks, he'll get over it and your relationship will be better off in the long run (at least that's what my wife tells me).

• Feb 16, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Brenok
    Woe-Be-Me - If you want to answer a main post, just go to the message box below the last post and enter your answer and submit it. The rating comments are for rating individual answers. But - I do agree with your comment and it is nice to know that I am not the only one going through this retirement quandry - if you have anything to share, let me know - and thanks again,
    Bren

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woe_Be_Me
    Xhelper
    Ooops, i am a newbie and made a comment on your comment, messed up. i thought i answered the main quote, sorry but you did have a good answer.