Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Books & Literature (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   APA Style Guide (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=99410)

• Jun 7, 2007, 02:22 PM
    jillianleab
    APA Style Guide
    I'd like to purchase an APA style guide to use as a reference when writing papers. I've browsed online and can't decide which one will be of the most use to me. I don't think I need the full guide, a pocket guide should do. Really I'm looking for a guide which will detail citation style, references, and paper style. Something pretty simple, in other words. Does anyone have any person experience with a guide which might be of use?
  • Jun 7, 2007, 06:37 PM
    jmillerascs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jillianleab
    I'd like to purchase an APA style guide to use as a reference when writing papers. I've browsed online and can't decide which one will be of the most use to me. I don't think I need the full guide, a pocket guide should do. Really I'm looking for a guide which will detail citation style, references, and paper style. Something pretty simple, in other words. Does anyone have any person experience with a guide which might be of use?

I teach APA in my eighth grade English class. All I do is Google APA every time I teach citing, quoting, quotation marks, etc. The rules for APA are not written in stone, so any book you buy will date itself. Some of the sites; however, are updated more frequently.
  • Jun 7, 2007, 07:44 PM
    jillianleab
    Thanks jmillerascs. I've been using Google searches so far, but I seem to do a lot better with a book in front of me! :) I've only got a few quarters left, so I know the material will be dated, but I thought if I could pick one up used for $15 or so it might be helpful. Do you have a particular website you prefer?
  • Jun 7, 2007, 07:48 PM
    shygrneyzs
    Have you checked the college bookstore? Sometimes they offer used books or there are students that post used books for sale. Did you check eBay? eBay - APA book, Textbooks, Education, Nonfiction Books items on eBay.com
  • Jun 7, 2007, 07:53 PM
    jillianleab
    Thanks, shygrneyzs, but my classes are online, and the course material are ordered from a website. No college bookstore to check, unfortunately! I didn't check eBay because I figured I'd have the same trouble with Amazon, not being able to know the content of the book. I went to my local (regular) bookstore today, but they didn't have much except the full apa manual, which I think is a bit excessive. I might have to bite the bullet and buy one blindly! I might check out the library and see if I can pick a good one from there...

Thanks!
  • Jun 7, 2007, 07:55 PM
    shygrneyzs
    With eBay, you can contact the seller and ask whatever question you want about the book. Publication date, etc.

Hope you find what you need.
  • Jun 7, 2007, 08:04 PM
    jmillerascs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jillianleab

I completely understand your preference for a real book in front of you, I tend to be that way, too. I just found that I'd teach something to my students, and realize later that the material I gave them was dated. My favorite site is "The Owl at Purdue"; I find it easy to navitage and accurate. Good luck as you wrap up your studies, Jillianleab.