Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Reptiles (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=545)
-   -   Help me, my turtle is being weird (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=30125)

• Jul 24, 2006, 04:23 PM
    magicANN
    Help me, my turtle is being weird
    I just bought a turtle, and its breathing really hard, with its mouth open when its on the land part of the tank... Is it panting because its hot??
  • Jul 24, 2006, 04:30 PM
    magprob
    Well probably, we are experiancing a heat wave you know. The only other thing I can think of is that he has a fly stuck in his throat. Call the place you bought him and see if they know.
  • Jul 24, 2006, 06:19 PM
    magicANN
    He's cool now, he's chillin on a the beach, but are there anymore turtle care tips I need to know about, I have the whole set up with a lamp and water conditioner... how do change the humidity and how do I know what level is right??
  • Mar 1, 2007, 05:25 PM
    t_rod95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by magicANN
    I just bought a turtle, and its breathing really hard, with its mouth open when its on the land part of the tank...Is it panting because its hot????

It is prably doing that because it really is to hot ,so maybe try to make the light a little dimer.
  • Mar 2, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Panamaa
    Wow, my turtle has never done that as far as I know. I have a red eared slider and have had her now for 4 years. I don't know if they pant or not but I don think so. It might have been too hot for your turtie. If its doing better now, great. I leave my turtle light on during the day and turn it off at night. Mine hibernates in the winter and doesn't eat AT ALL. It should now start eating. Watching her everyday to see if she is coming to the side of the tank. What cool pets.
  • Mar 2, 2007, 08:46 AM
    robynhgl
    Pan--your turtle is spoiled. ;)
  • Mar 2, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Panamaa
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robynhgl
    Pan--your turtle is spoiled. ;)

You are SO right about that. My turtie gets flys swatted for it while they are still kicking (it stimulates their predatory instinct) by a vietnam vet who knows the "quick and silent" procedure for fly combat. This causes less stress on the fly. His ideal manuveur is to snatch them from the air with his eyes closed as this lends the fly a fighting chance.

Its important to let your turtie still think it's a turtle. This encourages proper mental status. That in turn is helpful when we enter the "turtle olympics" Her mind is focused and she can concentrate on her "18 inch crawl" event, and her swamp mud long jump. She excels at underwater ambush.(hence the semi live fly method) Its our opinion that as a hatchling she was used as a "skipping stone". We think this is the reason she is so competitive. WE believe she is consider a new venue this year as we see her doing yoga on her dock. She has been able to do this for hours at a time as if in a trance. What event could she be contemplating conquering now?
  • Mar 2, 2007, 09:08 AM
    robynhgl
    How to escape from your dysfunctional house??

LMAO!

Nah--she's probably just praying for shrimp...
  • Mar 2, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Panamaa
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robynhgl
    How to escape from your dysfunctional house???

LMAO!

Nah--she's probably just praying for shrimp....

Is that the BEST you could come up with?? OMG I was expecting something to make me laugh.and for your info ms smartypants... she gets SHRIMP
  • Mar 2, 2007, 09:14 AM
    robynhgl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Panamaa
    Is that the BEST you could come up with?????????OMG I was expecting something to make me laugh.and for your info ms smartypants...........she gets SHRIMP

Ms smartypants?? Ouch!