Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   abandonment charges? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=809334)

• Mar 14, 2015, 10:34 PM
    lovingmommyof7
    Can I file abandonment charges?
    My sister dropped off my nephew to me on 12/31 and here it is 3/15. During that time she has taking him once for 2 days. She has not provided for him at all. I have to buy everything and she gets to collect his welfare money. She doesn't call to check on him but will write a comment saying that she loves him on my Facebook when I post pictures of him. The baby is 7 months old now. From the day he was born I have always been there supporting him because she lives on welfare and only gets $32 every 2 Weeks and can't afford everything he needs so my question is can I get her on abandonment charges?

Please help I live in ny
  • Mar 15, 2015, 03:03 AM
    talaniman
    She left him in your good care so, NO abandonment charges do not apply. Where is she and what is she doing?

You could get child protective services involved, or the welfare department, so instead of posting Facebook pictures you should be issuing threats for more of her money.

I suspect a lot more to this story.
  • Mar 15, 2015, 05:35 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Agree, had she left him in the bathroom of Walmart, that is abandonment. But she left him well provided for.

You can call social services, and CPS, and see about getting temp custody, of the child. As for as money, doubtful if she has any money to pay you child support.
  • Mar 15, 2015, 05:37 AM
    joypulv
    Why the leap right to 'getting her?' You want punishment and retaliation?
    Just tell her calmly that she either gives you the $32 each time,
    or she takes him back,
    or you call CPS and surrender the child to them.
    If that isn't what you want to do, and I suspect that you do care, then work out something with her. You have options; one is that she gives you guardianship through the court. Various definitions of that arrangement can be defined, especially regarding when and how quickly she can change her mind. You can apply for her assistance.
  • Mar 15, 2015, 06:00 AM
    ScottGem
    What does "get her" mean to you? What is it you ultimately want here?

As noted, she didn't legally abandon the child because she left the child in the care of a responsible adult. The only thing you might get her for is Welfare fraud if she is getting aid based on her having the child.

On the other hand, you have no legal right to that child. You cannot legally authorize medical care since you are not a legal guardian.

Before we advise further we need to know what you really want out of this.
  • Mar 15, 2015, 06:30 AM
    AK lawyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    ... so instead of posting Facebook pictures you should be issuing threats for more of her money.

OP should be very careful with threats. It appears that the mother may be engaged in welfare fraud. OP could be accused of complicity in that crime, if she is not careful. In particular, she should do nothing to aid the mother to continue to get the welfare.