Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Reprimanded for missing work w/ medical excuse (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=366737)

• Jun 19, 2009, 08:32 AM
    zawatska
    Reprimanded for missing work w/ medical excuse
    I have a Dr's excuse to miss two days from work, which I already had taken, and I go back to work today. When I was in the ER I called my human resource ladyat 7am and I work second shift which is 2pm-10pm... and told her where I was, and that I have a dr's excuse to miss two days. She said okay, bring in the excuse when you come back into work (today). But then she says "just to prewarn you, you will most likely get a write up, or an oral reprimand".

I AM on my 90 day probationary period, I'm about 5 weeks into it... I just can't understand how they can reprimand me when I have a medical excuse... is this right? It's fine if it is, I guess... I just want to know.

Thanks! :D

PS-I don't know if I posted this in the right topic either...
  • Jun 19, 2009, 12:18 PM
    JudyKayTee

What is the company policy?

(Hey! How was your birthday! I've missed you.)
  • Jun 19, 2009, 04:57 PM
    twinkiedooter

Sometimes probationary periods don't factor in being sick or in the hospital. If they don't write you up, that would definitely go against the company policy for probationary periods. Don't worry about getting written up. You do have the doctor's note to back it up versus you just took two days off with no excuse.
  • Jun 19, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Yes, I have worked for varoius companies that do not allow any absent at all for your probation period.

After that or during that, you may be earning "paid days off" so if you use more days off than you have on the books, you may be written up.
  • Jun 21, 2009, 04:57 AM
    zawatska

Thanks for the answers! Judy my birthday was great, and I've probably only gotten drunk like 3 times since being 21! Haha.

I've asked around at work, and they all say that human resources has one week to write me up. So they have until this Wednesday, but if they try after that then Ive got to get one of my union representatives and they will get it figured out... idk lol.
  • Jun 21, 2009, 07:09 AM
    excon

Hello z:

Bringing a doctors note for being absent is a grade school thing. In the adult world, that doesn't happen. If an employer doesn't believe you were sick, he shouldn't have you on the payroll.

Whether you have a note or not, or whether you're on probation or not, and notwithstanding ANY of the rules your HR department has, in the absence of an employment contract, they can fire you for ANY reason whatsoever and ANY time.

excon
  • Jun 21, 2009, 08:07 PM
    zawatska

Excon- No they can't fire me any time they want because I'm in the union and have been since the first minute I've been working there. And its not a grade school thing I found out, I will NOT be getting written up or reprimanded in any way because I have that dr's excuse.