Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Management (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Is this questionable? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=828992)

• Nov 25, 2016, 06:01 AM
    Skeffery
    Is this questionable?
    As a manager you were approached by one of your employee who complained about the excessive use of cell phone texting on the job. You send a message to the individuals letting them know this information was brought to your attention without revealing its source. In the message you asked that if this practice is happening that it be limited to breaks and lunches.

Is it within the manager's right to do this or is this approach questionable?
  • Nov 25, 2016, 07:30 AM
    talaniman
    As a manager, my FIRST question, BEFORE contacting individuals, would be to this individual, about how this affects productivity, and efficiency of the workplace. Why even start this whole mess without doing your own homework and evaluate the FACTS?

Is there a policy or rule about texting at work? What's excessive? I think you need more information (FACTS) before you lay a policy in place. Why take the opinion of ONE individual over the opinions of the other individuals involved?

It is for that reason I would question YOUR policy, and actions, on this matter.
  • Nov 25, 2016, 08:36 AM
    Skeffery
    Thank you. This was very helpful.
  • Nov 25, 2016, 08:38 AM
    ScottGem
    It depends on company policy. If there is no printed policy on cell phone use then there should be. If there is the message should remind employees of the policy.

But the may point is that employees should be working while on the job. If they are on the phone for non job related purposes, then they are not doing the work for which they are paid.

Questionable? Not in the least!
  • Nov 25, 2016, 10:47 AM
    Skeffery
    There is a rule regarding using cell phones while on the job. It is not permitted. The complaint was made as a result of those texting not completing their assignments and leaving it behind for the one who made the complaint. There was proof to support this fact.
  • Nov 25, 2016, 11:15 AM
    talaniman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeffery View Post
    There is a rule regarding using cell phones while on the job. It is not permitted. The complaint was made as a result of those texting not completing their assignments and leaving it behind for the one who made the complaint. There was proof to support this fact.

Now that FACT does change things.
  • Nov 25, 2016, 03:18 PM
    ScottGem
    Given your follow up info, I would have issued a stronger and sterner message.

We have received information that some employees have been using their cell phones during working periods. This is in direct violation of company policy. It is also affecting productivity. This practice needs to stop immediately or further action will be taken against the offenders.
  • Nov 25, 2016, 03:39 PM
    Skeffery
    Thank you both for your responses. You have been most helpful.