Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Weight Loss (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=353)
-   -   Weight loss and weight training (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=174578)

• Jan 20, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Lilywhite
    Weight loss and weight training
    I need to lose 12 to 14 pounds I gained during the past months as a result of anxiety and not having the time to work out.

I used to be fashion model thin, probably because of genes, but after having to eat precious little during a long stay in Thailand, I couldnīt eat the food there - I got overly thin. This resulted in weight gain over the next few years.

Iīve started taking green tea tablets, reducing my sugar and fat intake and working out in a gym with an instructer. I swim afterwards.

Iīve been working out 4-5 days a week for one month, but I havenīt lost one gramme of fat. Instead Iīve gained 4 pounds and devolped bulgy muscles on my calves, which used to be in good shape before my workout.

Is this normal and will it balance itself out? My appetite has increased because the workout is quite heavy, but I drink tons of water.

Iīm not hoping to lose all of the weight in a month, as 18 months is more likely to be more realistic, but I would have hoped to lose something by now.

Thanks,
    Lily
  • Jan 20, 2008, 02:57 PM
    ISneezeFunny
    12 lbs in a month is hard, but doable. I suggest attempting to lose roughly 8 lbs a month... 2 lbs a week. This is a better goal.

First and foremost, how old are you? How much do you currently weigh? Current weight and age factor a lot into exercise + weight loss.

As far as your weight gain after working out... it's natural. Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • Jan 20, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Lilywhite
    Thanks for replying.

I donīt want to lose 12 pounds in a month - not at all. I want to lose weight slowly. Sorry about the confusion. English is not my first language.

My height is 1,78 and I weigh 79 kilogrammes. My normal weight is 74 kilogrammes.

Iīm in my late forties. I noticed after turning forty that itīs harder to lose weight and the excess kilos are stubborn. Any advice about that?

All the best,
    Lily
  • Jan 20, 2008, 06:54 PM
    ISneezeFunny
    obviously, age will cut down metabolism quite a bit. You're not old, but you obviously cannot start lifting weights randomly.

I suggest walking/jogging for 30 minutes a day, 3 times a week.

if you're married/have a partner, then it's a great way to just take a stroll together.

be careful of those snacks and stay off sodas, and you should be fine.

just as an example, this past summer, I made my father jog (not too fast either.. just slightly faster than walking) an hour a day with me 3 times a week. He went from 75 kg to 70 in 3 months. If he had cut back on eating chocolate and snacks and drinking beer, he would have gone down further.
  • Jan 20, 2008, 08:25 PM
    reynilda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilywhite
    I need to lose 12 to 14 pounds I gained during the past months as a result of anxiety and not having the time to work out.

I used to be fashion model thin, probably because of genes, but after having to eat precious little during a long stay in Thailand, I couldnīt eat the food there - I got overly thin. This resulted in weight gain over the next few years.

Iīve started taking green tea tablets, reducing my sugar and fat intake and working out in a gym with an instructer. I swim afterwards.

Iīve been working out 4-5 days a week for one month, but I havenīt lost one gramme of fat. Instead Iīve gained 4 pounds and devolped bulgy muscles on my calves, which used to be in good shape before my workout.

Is this normal and will it balance itself out? My appetite has increased because the workout is quite heavy, but I drink tons of water.

Iīm not hoping to lose all of the weight in a month, as 18 months is more likely to be more realistic, but I would have hoped to lose something by now.

Thanks,
    Lily

Proper exercise to maintain good health and to control bad cholesterol and refrain from eating junkfoods. See your food pyramid.
  • Jan 29, 2008, 02:43 AM
    zizi1985
    I want to loose 10 kg .My height is 166 cm and my weight is 74 kg. I appreciate if you suggest me what exercise is good for losing my weight and how much I should do it daily. And of course I have a healthy diet beside that. I just like to know the good exercise to achieving my goal.
    Thanks a lot
    Zizi