Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   CPS and DV (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=668793)

• Jun 9, 2012, 06:02 AM
    grammy51
    CPS and DV
    My son called cps on his ex-wife due to numerous reports from his children of witnessing domestic violence between their mother and her boyfriend, as well as their mother and her sister... I'm not talking about just some shoving... the mother even informed my son of a fist fight between her and her sister that took place in front of the kids... he has the conversation recorded and she states that her sister wouldn't quit running her mouth so she "beat her "... where were the kids? Right there witnessing it all. There have been other instances where the kids have reported physical altercations between mom and her sister over "pills". The kids have relayed many instances of physical altercations between mom and her boyfriend... mommy kicked him in the "peanuts" and he shoved her down... grandson got in trouble for trying to intervene (he's only 8)... mommy and boyfriend were fighting in the car on the way to grandparents house on Christmas day and boyfriend tried to jump out of the moving vehicle in the presence of the children... mom has even become physically aggressive with me in my own home when I was trying to get her to leave because she was making a scene on my front porch... I personally, don't like the "white trash" scenes at my home, although it seems to be the norm for that family and I told her I wasn't having it here and she needed to leave... when she refused, I tried to move her so I could shut the door and she shoved me backwards screaming "get you f'ing hands off of me". I called the police, but opted not to file a report for fear that my grandkids would be withheld from me. Physical violence seems to be the only way they know to handle any situation and I'm so tired of it. My son has tried to talk to the mom about what the kids are being exposed to while in her care and she becomes defensive and combative, so reasoning with her is not an option. My grandson, just a couple of months ago asked ME to take him to therapy because his life is so messed up... I was heartsick to hear this coming from an 8 year old. My son requested that mom agree to put the kids in therapy and she refused. At any rate, just last week, my grandson, out of the blue, informed my son, myself and another person present that "sometimes his step-brother (boyfriend's little boy) poops his pants, or doesn't wipe very good and he witnessed his mom wiping the little boys butt with a towel and shoving it in his face. That was the end all, because I've witnessed her being emotionally abusive to the little boy myself in years past before I finally cut ties with her, but never knew what to do about it, short of trying to tell her that maybe he couldn't help it only to have her become hostile and defensive. Come to find out, this kid DOES have a medical condition, and can't help it...he has an expanded colon. I've heard her publicly humiliate the little boy for his accidents at a soccer game where she announced loudly, in front of everyone there that he can't play because he's a baby and he still poops and pees his pants....I've heard her berate him and ask him if he's "f'ing retarded".....I'm sorry, but anyone that could treat a child in that manner has a serious control issue and it needs to be dealt with. All of this has been reported to CPS...and as far as I can tell, nothing is happening. My grandkids are the one that blew the whistle on her....she has berated them and called my grandson an ....the boyfriend, in the presence of the kids has threatened to kill the dad for reporting them....the mother told the dad he was a "f'ing piece of sh*** right in front of the kids... the kids told their dad that their mother told them they should hate their dad... all of this and not a thing is being done. The kids came over the other night and told us that they had told their mom that they were scared of her and they got in trouble... the CPS caseworker made an appt. to talk with the kids and the mother and boyfriend at her home and when he got there, they wouldn't answer the door. He then got permission from their dad to talk to them at summer school and I know that's taken place, but still nothing. You're always told to protect children and make a call to CPS if you suspect child abuse... whether it be physical or mental. This has gone on for a long time before their dad finally had enough and made the call. The mother knows that the kids "snitched" on her as she puts it and now, because of all of this, we feel like we've let them down because god only knows what they're going through mentally while they're with her... we promised them that we would protect them and it was okay to tell the truth. It's like a no win situation... you try to do the right thing and end up not only feeling like you've created even more of a nightmare for the kids, but you meet with nothing but brick walls. I guess I just don't understand the system... son has even gone to an attorney to find out his options and to go for a legal custody modification he was told it could take from 9 months to 2 years and would cost anywhere from $30,000 to $40,000. I understand that the kids aren't in immediate physical danger, but what about their mental and emotional well-being and safety? I would think that all of this will have a very long term, detrimental effect on them mentally... how could it not? I'm totally heartsick and can see now why people end up taking matters into their own hands...
  • Jun 9, 2012, 06:24 AM
    ScottGem
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. This can lead to confusion. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Unfortunately measuring the long term affects of this type of behavior is difficult. Your son need to bring the children to a therapist who can testify in court. He can then file in court for a modification of the custody order.
  • Jun 9, 2012, 06:34 AM
    grammy51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. This can lead to confusion. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Unfortunately measuring the long term affects of this type of behavior is difficult. Your son need to bring the children to a therapist who can testify in court. he can then file in court for a modification of the custody order.

I'm sorry for the confusion with my post... I'm new to this and didn't know there was a specific thread for it, so thanks for helping me out. Since the mother refuses to let the children see a therapist, can my son legally do it without her permission? He wants to make sure everything he does is above board and legal... he has joint custody. The $170 dollar an hour attorney didn't touch on that subject, so any advice/info. You have is appreciated.
  • Jun 9, 2012, 09:07 AM
    ScottGem
    If he has joint LEGAL custody, then he should be able to take them to a therapist. If he has a lawyer ask that question specifically.

There is no specific "thread", each member should start a new thread for each new question.