Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Credit (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Just found a Judgement on my credit that was paid before court? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=55910)

• Jan 19, 2007, 05:26 PM
    bjwanderer
    Just found a Judgement on my credit that was paid before court?
    I ran my credit report for the first time in 4 years. I see I have a judgement in the public record section. This debt was paid in full 1 day before the court date!! I have the proof that I paid the debt in Full. Does anyone have any idea how I go about having that judgement totally removed from my record?
  • Jan 19, 2007, 05:31 PM
    KMSRyana
    Yes. You need to contact all three major Credit Reporting Companies (Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union) and dispute the judgement. You will need to send them copies of the proof you have (make sure you retain the original) showing the debt is already paid. They all have .com addresses and easy to follow instructions on how each company wants you to dispute the debt.

Good luck to you!
  • Jan 19, 2007, 06:03 PM
    mr.yet
    Also tell them to remove the incorrect information in your report and when correct send you an update copy of your credit report.
  • Jan 19, 2007, 06:59 PM
    EHolland
    I am currently in the process of trying to get things removed from my credit report also. I had a home built two years ago and had a few things on my report that had to be paid before the mortgage company would approve me. I took them the receipts to show they had been paid. Now, almost two years later, some of the items are still on my credit report. Companies get in a hurry to put things on your credit report but they take their time contacting the credit reporting agencies to let them know you have paid it. Most of them don't even contact them at all.
    I am now in the process of writing out letters to each credit reporting agency... Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union. For each thing that was on my credit report I have made copies of the reciepts I have where I paid the bill in full. I am also writing a letter to each company that the item is posted with and letting them know it has been paid... along with sending them the copy of the receipt... your proof that it has been paid. Also, send a copy of your credit report with the item in question circled. Always send copies not the originals of your receipts.
    This is a time consuming process. Then, they have to notify you in 30 days letting you know the action they took... whether they deleted the item or just showed that it has been paid.

Here is an example that I have found on how to word your letter:

DATE
    NAME
    ADDRESS
    CITY, STATE, ZIP
    SOC. SEC. #

Complaint Dept.
    Name of the Credit Reporting Agency (Equifax, Experian, Trans Union)
    Address, City, State, ZIP

Dear __________ (Credit Reporting Agency Name),

I am writing to dispute the following information in my file. (Identify disputed item here. List name of source, such as creditors or tax court, and identify type of item, such as credit account, judgement, etc.) (This will be listed on your credit report as to what type it is).

The items I dispute are also circled on the attached copy of the file I received. This item is (inaccurate or incomplete) because (describe what is inaccurate or incomplete and why).

I am requesting that the item be deleted (or request another specific change) to correct the information.

Enclosed are copies of (use this sentence if applicable and describe any enclosed documentation, such as payment records and court documents) supporting my position. Please reinvestigate this (these) matter (s) and (delete or correct) the disputed items as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Your signature
    Your printed name
    Your social security number

I hope this helps you.
  • Feb 23, 2007, 11:36 AM
    bigcowboy1
    First of all, make sure the court has posted it. They are very good at taking your money and oops, forgot to say you paid. That happened to me when I was applying for a refi once. Call the courthouse or the attorney who handled the judgement. One of them dropped the ball about reporting it dismissed.
  • Feb 25, 2007, 07:55 AM
    excon
    Hello bj:

There's a judgment. The credit bureaus found it. If you challenge it with them and don't REMOVE it, they'll find it again. That's not the way to attack this.

Obviously, the scumbag collector went to court anyway, and lied about your payment. I would sue the crap out of them, if it was me.

excon