Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Court ordered child support. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=306273)

• Jan 20, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Pellecheaty
    Court ordered child support.
    I am being told by two different people who work in the court system, I want to know the truth about how long or at what age do I have to pay support? Is it 18, or 21? Now I hear if they attend college it is 21 yrs. For the support to be paid. I have three children who are not in college and never have been but I am being told to pay for them until they are age 21. What is the truth? Thank you.
  • Jan 20, 2009, 12:20 PM
    George_1950

Welcome to AMHD. The answer probably depends on which state you reside in.
  • Jan 20, 2009, 12:30 PM
    ScottGem

George is correct, this is generally governed by state law and state laws vary.

But even more than law its usually specified in the support order. Usually a support order will say support continue until the child is 18 or finished with schooling.
  • Jan 20, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Pellecheaty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pellecheaty View Post
    I am being told by two different people who work in the court system, I want to know the truth about how long or at what age do I have to pay support? Is it 18, or 21? Now I hear if they attend college it is 21 yrs. for the support to be paid. I have three children who are not in college and never have been but I am being told to pay for them until they are age 21. What is the truth? Thank you.

You are right, I'm sorry the State I'm speaking about is Indiana.
  • Jan 20, 2009, 12:46 PM
    ScottGem

Indiana Child Support, Child Support Enforcement

Age of Emancipation / Age of Majority in Indiana

Indiana Code (IC 31-16-6-6) sets the age of emancipation at 21 years of age.
    In Indiana, child support is automatically terminated at age 21, unless the child has been determined to be legally incapacitated or an order for educational support beyond high school is established prior to the child turning 21.

So, as I said, its more a matter of the support order.
  • Jan 20, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Pellecheaty

Scott this does and it don't. I guess I need a copy of the divorce papers! I am 100% disabled and it was not recognized until three and a half years after the divorce. The real problem is she never turned in the disability papers to the support court! She is friends with the prosecutor and his wife(the director of support) If I could get me an attorney I would have these three but good! I don't know how he does it, but every atty. I try to hire he get's to them and they can not help me! It truly is an unreal case! Thank's ScottGem.
  • Jan 20, 2009, 07:42 PM
    ScottGem

Its not your ex's responsibility to turn in the info about a change in circumstances. YOU need to petition the court for a modification of the support agreement due to your change in circumstances.
  • Jan 21, 2009, 06:17 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Scott this does and it don't. I guess I need a copy of the divorce papers! I am 100% disabled and it was not recognized until three and a half years after the divorce. The real problem is she never turned in the disability papers to the support court! She is freinds with the prosecutor and his wife(the director of support) If I could get me an attorney I would have these three but good! I don't know how he does it, but every atty. I try to hire he get's to them and they can not help me! It truly is an unreal case! Thank's ScottGem.

If YOUR circumstances have changed YOU have to file with the Court for a modification/reduction based on changed circumstances. I do not see the Court changing the age until which you have to pay support (from 21 to 18) but I do see a reduction in the amount you have to pay (until age 21).

What did the Director of Support, his wife and your wife do in violation of your State laws?
  • Jan 21, 2009, 06:58 AM
    George_1950
    Quote:

...I guess I need a copy of the divorce papers! I am 100% disabled and it was not recognized until three and a half years after the divorce. The real problem is she never turned in the disability papers to the support court!...

100% disabled, by whom? Are you receiving social security disability benefits?