Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   SSD chils support exempt in va (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=192619)

• Mar 9, 2008, 05:11 AM
    cour2222
    SSD chils support exempt in va
    I was approved for social security disability in the state of Va and was told that I was child support exempt and was showed this on a legal document. A new worker at ssd office to my x that I was no exempt,, what's the truth here question 2,, I found out my x was letting her husband claim my son on his ssd for 14 years while I was paying her child support,, is that legal
  • Mar 9, 2008, 07:47 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cour2222
    I was approved for social security disability in the state of Va and was told that I was child support exempt and was showed this on a legal document. A new worker at ssd office to my x that I was no exempt,,,whats the truth here question 2,,, I found out my x was letting her husband claim my son on his ssd for 14 years while I was paying her child support,,,,is that legal

SSI benefits are NOT automatically exempt - the law reads: " The exceptions are that benefits are subject: (1) to the authority of the Secretary of the Treasury to make levies for the collection of delinquent Federal taxes and under certain circumstances delinquent child support payments; and (2) to garnishment or similar legal process brought by an individual to enforce a child support or alimony obligation."

I don't understand how your ex-wife's husband could be collecting benefits for a non-blood person (your son). Maybe someone else knows. I know a natural parent can collect benefits and child support at the same time, the total amount of support being reduced by the benefits.
  • Mar 9, 2008, 10:41 AM
    cour2222
    Ssd child support
    In va. Ssi and ssd are very different, I have seen legal papers that say if a person is approved for ssd then they are child support exempt in va... Is this true and where can I find that info,, thanks:confused:
  • Mar 9, 2008, 11:10 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cour2222
    In va. ssi and ssd are very different, I have seen legal papers that say if a person is approved for ssd then they are child support exempt in va....Is this true and where can i find that info,,,thanks:confused:

It's confusing when you post two threads with the same question - I'm going to see if I can carry this over to the first thread.
  • Mar 9, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Curlyben
    >Threads merged<
  • Mar 9, 2008, 11:13 AM
    JudyKayTee
    In va. Ssi and ssd are very different, I have seen legal papers that say if a person is approved for ssd then they are child support exempt in va... Is this true and where can I find that info,, thanks

My post addressed SS Disabiity, NOT SSI - I posted wrong but the quote is right. SSD is NOT exempt. In reading this it appears to be Federal Law, not State law, that prevails.