Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Small Business (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   Where can I go to bid on commercial cleaning contracts (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=407570)

• Oct 19, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Jim d jones
    Where can I go to bid on commercial cleaning contracts
    Hello
    I just started a commercial cleaning business about 4 months ago.
    I have some experience. Is there a site I can bid on contracts in my area?
    How do I obtain my first client. I did the free ads online, passed out flyers and business cards, any ideas please help!

Thanks!
  • Oct 19, 2009, 08:10 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim d jones View Post
    i just started a commercial cleaning business about 4 months ago. is there a site i can bid on contracts in my area?

how do i obtain my first client.

Hello Jim:

People don't hire cleaning companies because of their bid. Even if you were to find a nice place to advertise and place bids, no company looks there...

Nope. They hire people because they're PEOPLE... So, the only way you're going to obtain your first client, is to go out into the world and make a sales call on him.

excon
  • Oct 19, 2009, 01:14 PM
    Clough
    Hi, Jim d jones!

You say that you have some experience. Was that working on your own or for someone else, please?

Thanks!
  • Oct 19, 2009, 10:40 PM
    Jim d jones

Working on my own.
  • Oct 19, 2009, 11:05 PM
    Clough
    Hi again, Jim d jones!

Have you tried "cold-calling" on potential customers? Also, where did you place free ads online, please?

Thanks!
  • Oct 20, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Jim d jones

I just started cold calling seems I've got a couple leads. There has been no deal yet though. My online ads are with yellowbot, merchantcircle, citysqures,monta, kudzu, yellow pages AOL any other ideas were I should ad my business

Please advise - jim
  • Oct 20, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Stringer

Your best approach in cold calling or in fact any conversations that you have with a prospect is to be a problem solver.

Think about why this person will buy from you. And it's not all about telling him/her about who you are and what you can/will do. Yes, do that briefly, but only as a 'qualifier', but then go quickly to asking questions about why he/she is talking to you.

Obviously, they have a situation or a problem, otherwise why are they even giving you their time, it is your job to identify what that is and present a solution. You then have reached the core... solve the problem, make them fell better and feel secure that YOU are the answer. Remember in all sales... it IS an emotional decision, make them like you, your solutions and your company.

Stringer
  • Oct 21, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Stringer

Jim, are you coming back to discuss this further?
  • Oct 22, 2009, 06:44 AM
    Jim d jones

Thanks so much for the direction. I needed that. Since this post I've had three appointments this week.
    Thank you all! :)
  • Oct 22, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Stringer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim d jones View Post
    Thanks soo much for the direction. i needed that. since this post i've had three appointments this week.
    thank you all !! :)

Excellent, way to go!

That is opening the door a crack, now prepare yourself, and go to work.

Take the time to research these companies. Go online to their websites, study their history, find out who their officers are, find out about their local social contributions, find out how many employees, find out what exactly they do. AND try to find the person that you will be seeing.

When you take the time to explore their company, they are usually impressed that you took the effort. Use something that you learned during the initial interview.

Also during the first interview, try to find some of the interests of that person, married, kids, sports, concerns, social groups, how long with the company, goals (personal and company imposed), likes, dislikes, etc. Then find a way to use something. For example, if you find that they are having an anniversary coming up soon, send something to their office. Make sure that it is appropriate, not expensive, but something that took some thought.

Things such as this will put you on top of their list, and show that you do your due diligence.

Stringer
  • Jan 6, 2011, 02:59 PM
    derek2155
    Hi my names is charles jackson, i will be starting my cleaning company 2/14/11 jackson's cleaning service.. well i been doing cleaning for 21 years.. i think what jim said was wright' start with your company cards flys and always have a good smile on your face..