Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Gifted Children (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Is my son gifted (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=679253)

• Jul 5, 2012, 04:34 PM
    selvi_Victoria
    Is my son gifted
    My son has just turned 4year he is very rapid in learning I would list a few things that he does beyond his age he was able to to do 100piece puzzle on his own when he was 3years and nine months very confident using computers when 3year old. Now he can tell any number.Upto 1000, he has started to read.and the list goes on
  • Jul 5, 2012, 07:40 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Maybe, and if so,? Let him have his childhood, and as he starts school, then choices of private school ( can you afford it ?)
  • Jul 5, 2012, 07:44 PM
    J_9
    I have a child like that. At that age he was doing similar things, at the age of 5 he was reading on a 7th grade reading level, but he evened out and is now a normal 10 year old boy equal to his peers.

Your child may or may not be gifted. I know we all wish are children are, but placing labels on children can be damaging to some children.

At this age, it's best to let your child just be a child.
  • Jul 5, 2012, 09:37 PM
    teacherjenn4
    He may be. See how he does in Kindergarten. Most schools do not test children to determine if they are gifted until 3rd grade. If your child's teacher finds him very far ahead in all subject areas, she will find challenging activities to build his imagination and advance his knowledge. Let him enjoy school and pursue friendships rather than dwelling on being gifted.
  • Oct 10, 2012, 11:59 PM
    Sophie25
    The teacher will notify you about his advancement and may be placed in the GT (gifted and talented) program at school. I know because my son is in that program :)
  • Oct 11, 2012, 12:22 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    He may be. See how he does in Kindergarten. Most schools do not test children to determine if they are gifted until 3rd grade. If your child's teacher finds him very far ahead in all subject areas, she will find challenging activities to build his imagination and advance his knowledge. Let him enjoy school and pursue friendships rather than dwelling on being gifted.

In my area the Brigance Test is given in kindergarten. How accurate is that so young?
  • Oct 11, 2012, 06:25 AM
    teacherjenn4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    In my area the Brigance Test is given in kindergarten. How accurate is that so young?

It is used for diagnosing developmental delays. It can be purchased by parents to administer on their own. Waste of money! If your child is experiencing delays or appears gifted, the teacher should begin a child study team to make sure their needs are being met. Anything that can be purchased by a parent, will have no weight with most school districts to determine any type of placement.