Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Crime (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Theft under $5000 (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=579038)

• May 30, 2011, 06:19 AM
    abeales
    Theft under $5000
    I was shopping at a local store when I put my child in a display stroller. She started to act up , making me frustrated so I paid for my items, forgetting about the stroller and left the store. Once I got up to my car and started to put my items away, I realized I took the stroller! My mom was on her way out and the security guard came up to me, while my kids were there, and said I was under arrest. I tried to tell him it was a complete accident but he was ignorant towards me, making me mad and I still had a child there kicking and screaming. Mom came to the car to watch the kids and I went back to the store with him. I couldn't apologize enough and he said the cops were on their way. After waiting for a half hour, I asked when the cops were coming because I wanted to tell them what happened. The cop charged me right away and now I have to go to court. I never ever got in trouble in my life,I have a clean record and I don't want that to be ruined. I'm a Criminology graduate for godsake!! What do I do?
  • May 30, 2011, 06:29 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by abeales View Post
    I'm a Criminology graduate for godsake!!! What do i do?

Hello a:

Hire a lawyer, for godsake.

excon
  • May 30, 2011, 06:43 AM
    abeales
    Comment on excon's post
    I'm still waiting on legal aid. I'm petrified because it's going to ruin a lot of opportunities for me in the future. The item was $50 if that matters, and I SERIOUSLY did not intend on taking it, but I guess the judge hears that all of the time.
  • May 30, 2011, 06:55 AM
    ScottGem

First, when posting a follow-up question or info, please use the Answer options at the bottom of the page rather than the Comments.

Second, I'm sorry but putting a small item in your bag to deal with an unruly child and then forgetting about it, might be believable, but a stroller? I'm sorry that's hard to accept.

But the good news, is, if this is a first offense, you will probably get probation and restitution. You may even be able to avoid a criminal record. I hope the judge is a parent.
  • May 30, 2011, 07:18 AM
    abeales
    I know it is a little hard to believe but the cash register who checked me in saw the whole thing. I asked for her to come to the office and they wouldn't bring her in. A point I'm trying to get across is that if I wanted to steal a stroller I would've went into the stroller isle and get the best one there!! The stroller she was in was a display in the clearance isle and there was something wrong with the handles. Yes, this is a first offence.
  • May 30, 2011, 07:59 AM
    ScottGem

What did she see? That you were having trouble with your child? And no, using that logic is not going to fly. They can simply say you wanted to take one that wouldn't be missed.
  • May 30, 2011, 09:21 AM
    abeales
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    That's true. But they know me personally, not that it matters, and they still treated me like a hardened criminal. I know it's not an excuse that my child was freaking out but it was an honest to goodness mistake and I don't know how to prove it. My career is on the line here! I would never do something so stupid to jepordize that!
  • May 30, 2011, 09:30 AM
    BMI

You seem pretty adamant about it being a mistake. However, trouble is, no one can confirm what happened, save for the people involved.

If it were an honest mistake, and I suppose it may have been, you would do well to simply state what exactly happened. In saying that, I would ABSOLUTELY refrain from usuing arguments such as 'why would I do this?', and especially 'why wouldn't I take the most expensive stroller'.

You are not the one asking the questions and it is not up to anyone to decide why you may have done it or why didn't you take this or that one. Those questions are irrelevant and usually indicate a defence tactic, which does not work.

If you are innocent, surely you have better arguments than those.

Best of luck.
  • May 30, 2011, 09:47 AM
    excon

Hello again, a:

As you can see, "I'm innocent", ain't flying here...

Look. MOST people are aware of what's going on around them at all times. Some people aren't. I have no problem believing that you're one of the clueless. Not only MIGHT that be the truth, it's probably the best defense to use.

excon
  • May 30, 2011, 09:57 AM
    abeales
    Comment on excon's post
    I'm looking for help, not sarcasm. If you don't want to help, stay off the line.
  • May 30, 2011, 09:58 AM
    Fr_Chuck

Sorry but you are not innocent, you admitted you took a stroller out of a store without paying, that is theft.
    So you just admitted you did it.

And now all you can do is try and explain to the court the reason you allowed it to happen.

You were forgetful, you were not thinking and you allowed the non ability to control your child to do this.

And as the other person said, sorry but raising 5 boys, there is no excuse of taking a stroller out of the store.

But yes, since this is the first offense, expect a fine and probation
  • May 30, 2011, 09:59 AM
    abeales
    Comment on BMI's post
    Thanks. I never looked at it that way. Your more of a help than the last one.
  • May 30, 2011, 10:05 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by abeales View Post
    I'm looking for help, not sarcasm. If you don't want to help, stay off the line.

Hello again, a:

I AM helping. I'm pointing out to you that NOBODY here is buying the "I'm innocent" routine.. I don't tell you this to ridicule you.. I tell you this because, judging from OUR response, it should dawn on you, that a JUDGE isn't going to buy it either. In my view, the best defense to use when you're in front of the judge, is to say, I didn't realize that I took it.

If you try to give him your "I'm innocent" stuff, he's going to be as sympathetic with you as ALL the people here are, and that's NOT VERY sympathetic...

But, if you want to do that, have at it.

excon
  • May 30, 2011, 10:28 AM
    abeales
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I know I took it, but when I realized what I have done I was getting ready to bring it back in. None of this is good and I can't take it back but if I do get a fine, so be it. I just want my apologies to get out there and for them to know I never had intentions in doing it.