Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Health Insurance (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Health insurance for diabetic, otherwise in good health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=382509)

• Aug 2, 2009, 01:11 AM
    ashok jain
    Health insurance for diabetic, otherwise in good health
    Next month, I will be landing in Texas as a new immigrant on my Green Card (female aged 55 years - not working). I have diabetese which is well controlled bu insulin and am otherwise in good health. Which companies would provide me a health insurance cover, even if they put a waiting period for the pre-existing condition?

Also do I have an option that If I buy a small frenchise will it provide me a guaranteed health insurance as a self employed person?
    I shall be grateful to receive your clear and detailed reply.
    Thanks
  • Aug 2, 2009, 06:02 PM
    nikosmom

Outside of being on a group plan, most companies with put an Impairment rider on your plan which would state they will not cover any treatment related to your diabetes. Also, on an individual plan your age will definitely factor in. If you're the only employee, you will not qualify for a group plan.

I actually would suggest you do an internet search to compare plans and prices between companies. Simple type in "health insurance" into your search bar and see what comes up. There are companies that will insure you but it won't be cheap due to your age and pre existing condition.
  • Aug 2, 2009, 09:18 PM
    ashok jain
    Hi NIkosmom,
    Thanks for your response.
    I am told that no insurance company would provide insurance to a diabetic in Texas, but I am very happy to note from your reply that "Outside of being on a group plan, most companies with put an Impairment rider on your plan which would state they will not cover any treatment related to your diabetes. There are companies that will insure you but it won't be cheap due to your age and pre existing condition".

I guess I am fine with that rider. I am looking for a high deductible, major hospitalization plan with a rider for diabetese. Can you please please guide me to the names of 2-3 such insurance companies who might be willing to quote, whom I can contact to get further information on pircing. Otherwise for me to select from a long list is going to be a big frustrating task, because I am still outside USA... Sorry to be demanding but hope you understand my situation.

Thanks again
  • Aug 2, 2009, 09:44 PM
    nikosmom

Here are a few links I found; although I can't personally attest to the reputation of all of the companies. These are just some that I found with a quick Google search:

Diabetic Health Insurance, Affordable Health Insurance for Diabetics

Texas - Health Insurance - American Diabetes Association

Get Free Health Insurance Quotes - Compare Plans Online - GoHealthInsurance.com
    (this link will take your info and shop around to see which companies may be able to help you)

Here's a good starting place!
  • Aug 3, 2009, 05:27 AM
    jef1056
    Each state regulates it's own insurance. What is common in one state may not be allowed in another. For example, some states allow companies with one employee to get group coverage, but not in Texas.
    You need to deal with someone locally that knows Texas. Contact the local Chamber of Commerce. They will be able to point you in the right direction.
  • Aug 3, 2009, 05:42 AM
    Fr_Chuck

United American is the only one I know of that may write a person in Texas, You may also check in Texas with Farm and Ranch Insurance they are very large there for self employed people.