Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Medical Conditions & Diseases (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Choking feeling like food is stuck in my throat (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=379306)

• Jul 24, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Birk
    Choking feeling like food is stuck in my throat
    This seems to be happening every time I eat lunch at work. For example today I ordered a footlong sub at subway, after a little more than half way through the sandwich it feels like there is food stuck in the back of my throat. And its really annoying. Once I feel that I basically can throw up all my food very easily, its really weird. Chunks of my food will come out, and if I am drinking water with my meal that will all come up too. I feel that I have digestion problems already, like if if I have to burp while I am sitting down I have to lean forward to get the burp out. This is really bothering me, and I don't have medical insurance right now so I can't afford to see a dr. Any info would help please, I have searched Google, but there is no answers to this. Im not sure if its only when I sit down and eat, or it's the way I sit at work, but this doesn't happen when I eat dinner.. PLEASE HELP!!
  • Jul 24, 2009, 09:27 AM
    N0help4u

You need to go to the doctor and get it diagnosed. Maybe you have an obstruction that would need medical attention.
    Get it diagnosed and let us know we might have some suggestions after we know what it is.
    If it is only happening at lunch I really have no idea.
  • Jul 24, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Birk
    It has happened the last 3 days now, and I had chips every time. Im wondering if its something with the chips. But today I didn't eat many chips and its not as bad. I had tuna yesterday and chicken today. I just need to get to a dr, but being a contractor and not having insurance will give me bills like crazy that I can't afford. I do have problems digesting Bananas and Guacomale, its almost the same sensation in my throat. Any ideas?
  • Jul 24, 2009, 09:38 AM
    N0help4u

Yeah I have a hard time eating chips they seem to stick in my throat and like catch everything and keep them there.
    Give up the chips and see if it still happens before you call the doctors.
  • Jul 24, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Birk
    Have you had a similar issue?
  • Jul 24, 2009, 09:54 AM
    N0help4u

Yes it sounds the same.
    My problem was mostly Pepsi and chips
  • Jul 24, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Birk
    Did you go to the dr though? I hope its nothing serious. I used to think I had a problem with red meat too.. I really need to see a dr just to be safe
  • Jul 24, 2009, 10:48 AM
    N0help4u

No I just quit eating chips and soda

If it keeps happening without eating chips then maybe you should go
  • Jul 26, 2009, 07:54 PM
    inthebox
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Birk View Post
    This seems to be happening everytime i eat lunch at work. For example today i ordered a footlong sub at subway, after a little more than half way through the sandwich it feels like there is food stuck in the back of my throat. And its really annoying. Once i feel that i basically can throw up all my food very easily, its really weird. Chunks of my food will come out, and if i am drinking water with my meal that will all come up too. I feel that i have digestion problems already, like if if i have to burp while i am sitting down i have to lean forward to get the burp out. This is really bothering me, and i dont have medical insurance right now so i can't afford to see a dr. Any info would help please, i have searched google, but there is no answers to this. Im not sure if its only when i sit down and eat, or its the way i sit at work, but this doesnt happen when i eat dinner.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Your symptoms are worrisome, especially if you are losing weight or getting " full" after just a few bites. A problem with your esophagus [ gerd , narrowing, barrett's etc.. ] or your stomach [ ulcer, narrowing ] is of concern and you should be evaluated by a doctor.
    If you have any black or tarry stools you should go to the ER

In the meantime:
    If you smoke - quit
    If you drink alcohol - stop
    Reduce caffeine [ soda, tea, coffee]
    Reduce fatty and spicy food in your diet
    Eat smalller meals [ more frequently ]

I wish you well

G&P
  • Jul 26, 2009, 07:56 PM
    N0help4u

That's interesting to know.
    I made cheesecake today and was eating a piece and same thing happened again.
    I never heard of Barretts.
  • Jul 26, 2009, 08:05 PM
    inthebox

Barrett's Esophagus Treatments, Diagnosis, Symptoms- Barrett?s Esophagus ;)
  • Jul 26, 2009, 08:23 PM
    J_9
    I have the very same problem. For me it was GERD. Nexium cleared it right up.
  • Apr 8, 2012, 06:11 AM
    KathyL
    Last night I started choking in a restaurant when I got too long of piece of meat on my first bite. I tried to chew it up but it started to choke me so I spit out what I could into a napkin. Just as I realized I could not swallow what was left I made a deep wheezing sucking sound and then coughed up the rest. After that, I felt that my chest was heavy and that I was breathing like I was tired. My throat was cleared and I ate dinner but felt tired. I know it really scared me and my husband and the waiter. We went shopping and I had some sense of needing to cough but nothing came out. When I got home, I tried deep breathing exhalations bent over, coughing with force bent over, and sleeping on my side. This morning I can breathe without coughing but it feels like pressure on my chest. Should I go to the ER or wait till Monday to see my doctor if it continues? It is not terrible but I do not feel energetic and have no desire to speak above a whisper. A big bite of a gyro sandwich.