Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Smell coming from cold water in sink and bathroom (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=34398)

• Sep 17, 2006, 08:33 AM
    mmar
    Smell coming from cold water in sink and bathroom
    Help! I have spent a lot of money on my plumbing problem and still don't have an answer. We added a 2bedroom 1 bath addition onto our house. About a month after we started using the addition we began to have a sewer smell coming from the cold water. We removed alloy rod from water heater just in case-no change. All pipes are pvc. Paid a plumber to come out and he filled all pipes in the entire house with chlorine which had to sit for 8 hours. Then we flushed out the entire house. That got rid of the smell for 2 days and then it was back. I have asked everyone and no one knows what to do. We are on city water and do not have any problem in the original house. Only have smell in sink and bath cold water of addition. It lasts for about 1-2 minutes then goes away. Can you help?
  • Sep 17, 2006, 09:19 AM
    speedball1
    Smells and weird noises are tough to track down if you're on site and almost impossible if you're not. My take on this is that you have a bacterial infestation. The plumber did the correct thing when he filled the system up with chlorine. However, unless he opened up every faucet in the house to get the chlorine past the standing water in the faucets plus flushing the toilets and filling the tanks with chlorine and even washing te lids he didn't get chlorine to every section of your system. If that's so then you still have some left and that would give you the symptoms that you now have. Regards, Tom
  • Nov 10, 2006, 07:21 AM
    WaltfromNC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mmar
    help!. i have spent a lot of money on my plumbing problem and still don't have an answer. we added a 2bedroom 1 bath addition onto our house. about a month after we started using the addition we began to have a sewer smell coming from the cold water. we removed alloy rod from water heater just in case-no change. all pipes are pvc. paid a plumber to come out and he filled all pipes in the entire house with chlorine which had to sit for 8 hours. then we flushed out the entire house. that got rid of the smell for 2 days and then it was back. i have asked everyone and no one knows what to do. we are on city water and do not have any problem in the original house. only have smell in sink and bath cold water of addition. it lasts for about 1-2 minutes then goes away. can you help?

Check to see if our supply lines are PVC. I had the same problem, but on well water and by simply replacing the pvc supply line to the cold water supply line with stainless stell (flex), it solved the problem. You are getting bacteria growth in your cold line that is very aggressive, and comes back daily. You will be surprised at how such small growth can cause such a big smell!
    Good luck,