Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Etiquette (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Tipping etiquette (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=21071)

• Feb 18, 2006, 02:33 PM
    saige009
    Tipping etiquette
    Hello Everyone,

I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped her a 2nd time? I feel bad because I didn't.

Thanks!
  • Feb 18, 2006, 03:24 PM
    CaptainForest
    NO.
    $70 of $300 is 23.3%!!

That being said, no you don't have to re-tip her. She screwed up (hence why she didn't charge you the second time).

Don't feel bad about not tipping her for her screw up.

And please forgive my ignorance, but $300 to straighten your hair? That seems like a lot of money. My hair cuts cost around $10 or so.
  • Feb 18, 2006, 03:33 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    I would say that they should have fixed it free including supplies unless you did something to cause it to loose its curl. Also unless this is down town Beverly Hills and you go to where the stars go, shop around for service,

I honestly don't know any service my wife gets ( or even complete combination) that could cost 300 dollars. Someone is getting way to over paid to start with.

My wife, ( and you can see her lovely picture at www.toniklughart.com )
    Gets her hair straighted every other month I believe, and some highlights and other things like glitter at times. And seldom is the entire treatment ever over 150.00 For regular wash,. rinse and styling it is under the 70 you paid for a tip.

*** OK, from there I will address the other, they should have fixed it at no charge period, not for payment of materials, since the original fix was not done properly or correctly.

If they had done it free, yes I would have "tipped" at that point a 20 or 30 dollar tip for the person doing the work. But being asked to pay anything, I would have refused and then not tipped because of it.

Of course as a man, I have only once paid more than 10 dollar for a haircut and you can tell from that wonderful photo that I get every dollar worth.
  • Feb 18, 2006, 05:37 PM
    bizygurl
    You must have had some really curly hair to pay 300.00 for it. Yikes! I don't have that much money to pay bills sometimes. Anyway I agree with Fr chuck. They should have given you the hair products for free. And I wouldn't feel bad for not tipping. Tipping is for the service you acquire. You gave her a $75.00 tip the first time which is huge for a tip, and you were unhappy, morally she shouldn't expect a second one.
  • Feb 18, 2006, 05:43 PM
    nwsflash
    I would just say hell no you screwed up don't even be looking for a TIP... Plus don't feel bad at 70.00 for the first tip OMG she must love you getting your hair done there...
  • Mar 7, 2006, 04:14 AM
    Skinwhite
    Well I've gotten quoted $500 for hair straightening(thermal rebonding). It's for the Japanese hair straightening technique and can range in price from $200(bargain) to $1000!
    The question is how could it get wavy in 3 days, unless u got it wet? If it was err on their part, then no tip should be given and they shouldn't have charged u anything at all. If it was err on your part(i.e. getting it wet), then they were gracious enough to redo it at no charge.
  • Mar 7, 2006, 04:22 AM
    DJ 'H'
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    NO.
    $70 of $300 is 23.3%!!!!!

That being said, no you don't have to re-tip her. She screwed up (hence why she didn't charge you the second time).

And please forgive my ignorance, but $300 to straighten your hair? That seems like a lot of money. My hair cuts cost around $10 or so.

$300 - I work in £'s being from England, but it does not take a genious to work out that that is way too expensive to have you hair straightened. I have my hair cut, styled and straightened for £25. I have a pair of hair straighteners to straighten my hair in between going to my hairdresser, because your hair does not stay straight all of the time (if your hair is naturally wavy). My hair is natrually straight, but has a bit of wave to it from all of the perms I have had in my time. Staighteners don't cost that much to buy and they are really useful and easy to use.

Always remember to condition your hair after strightening, otherwise it will dry out and break.

However they were no need to re-tip her, so don't feel bad?
  • Mar 7, 2006, 05:58 AM
    fredg
    Hi,
    For that amount of money, your stylist should NOT have charged you a second time for Anything, not even supplies.
    Neither I, nor my wife, would have tipped the stylist the second time. Please don't feel bad about not doing so. You did the right thing.
  • Mar 7, 2006, 01:14 PM
    nwsflash
    Quote:

$300 - I work in £'s being from England
    Hi "H" $300.00 works out to around £175.00... Thats a lot of cash for getting your hair done lol.
  • Mar 8, 2006, 04:53 AM
    DJ 'H'
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nwsflash
    Hi "H" $300.00 works out to around £175.00....Thats alot of cash for getting your hair done lol.

£175 to have your hair straightened - jesus wept, that is extortion. There is no way on this earth I would pay that. The most I have ever paid is £70 and that was for a perm.
  • May 24, 2006, 12:54 PM
    danagonzo
    I say if you had to go back to have the services redone, a tip should not apply. It wasn't done right the first time.
  • Jun 21, 2006, 05:47 PM
    shunned
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    NO.
    $70 of $300 is 23.3%!!!!!

10$? I bought a clipper from walgreens years ago and cut my own for free. :)
  • Jun 22, 2006, 12:54 AM
    talaniman
    300 dollars?? Your either rich or crazy or both... 70 dollars tip?? You ARE crazy or rich! HAD TO GO BACK?? If you where in THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS They would not only refund your money and the tip they would have given you your hair back!! (shot guns up somebodies nose is very persuasive):cool:
  • Jun 22, 2006, 09:01 AM
    fredg
    Hi,
    Old Post!
  • Mar 13, 2008, 07:33 AM
    stuckinftmyers
    I would love to know where you all get your hair done. I have an anti-curl applied to my hair and it is usually between 250.00 to 300.00 each time. The Japanese straightening is around 1000.00 for my length. I called every salon in town the first time I wanted this done and this was the cheapest (reputable) place I found.