Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Appliances (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Stainless steel dents (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=306034)

• Jan 19, 2009, 08:39 PM
    dlepper
    Stainless steel dents
    How do I fix a dent in my stainless steel fridge door?
  • Jan 19, 2009, 08:46 PM
    nike 1
    You might be able to pull it with a strong suction cup tool, some auto body repair shops have them. How big is the dent?
  • Jan 20, 2009, 07:36 AM
    dlepper
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nike 1 View Post
    You might be able to pull it with a strong suction cup tool, some auto body repair shops have them. How big is the dent?

The dent is the smaller than a pie, do you know if you might be able to use dry ice to freeze the metal and pop itself out? I have included a pic with this response if this will help.

Thanks,

Dave
  • Jan 20, 2009, 10:46 AM
    nike 1
    To be honest, I never heard of the dry ice tactic. It may just work. I would consult an auto body shop or perhaps a metal fabricator business that utilizes stainless steel in their business. Let me know how it works out. I have a stainless steel refrigerator and stove. Good luck!
  • Jan 20, 2009, 11:05 AM
    450donn

Is it an optical illusion or is that dent in/on a curved place? I doubt that you will be able to do much. The metal has stretched and probably going to look ugly no matter what you try.
  • Jan 20, 2009, 11:18 AM
    kp2171
    I've heard of the dry ice approach, tho' I've only seen vid's of it done on bigger dents than what yours appears as... you can buy dry ice at some local grocery stores, you just might have to ask where it is located, and handle with care... I've worked as a research chemist and seen people who knew better get cold burns from improper handling... as its "temp" is around -100F. Without proper, heavy gloves you can freeze your skin = frostbite.

the idea with dry ice is that metal will contract when cold, so a dent can simply "tighten" itself into being flat again.

I've also seen a YouTube video where a person did the same thing with a can of compressed air... they turned the can upside down and sprayed the dent, with the metal cooling again, until it became taut and "knocked" itself out.

YouTube - How to Remove Dents with Dry Ice
  • Jan 20, 2009, 11:32 AM
    nike 1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    ive heard of the dry ice approach, tho' ive only seen vid's of it done on bigger dents than what yours appears as... you can buy dry ice at some local grocery stores, you just might have to ask where it is located, and handle with care... ive worked as a research chemist and seen people who knew better get cold burns from improper handling... as its "temp" is around -100F. without proper, heavy gloves you can freeze your skin = frostbite.

the idea with dry ice is that metal will contract when cold, so a dent can simply "tighten" itself into being flat again.

ive also seen a youtube video where a person did the same thing with a can of compressed air... they turned the can upside down and sprayed the dent, with the metal cooling again, until it became taut and "knocked" itself out.

YouTube - How to Remove Dents with Dry Ice

That's amazing, do you think that can work on vehicle dents as well?
  • Jan 20, 2009, 12:19 PM
    kp2171
    Actually, I've seen it posted more for vehicle dents than something on an appliance...

I'm NOT an expert in this area at all... so I defer to those who do body work, but most of the online vids I've seen are for auto dents...

Wife's car has a little dent that looks kind of like what the OP mentioned... maybe I will try this out to see what happens... let you know... I've got an "inside" to "free" dry ice at the local univ... maybe I can get some to do a little test...
  • Jan 20, 2009, 12:40 PM
    nike 1
    Yes, definitely keep us posted. And thank you for getting back to me about that!
  • Jan 21, 2011, 05:57 PM
    liborke
    Don't bother to purchase DENT KING because it doesn't work at all. The glue doesn't stick either to the fridge or to the dent removal tab. DENT KING is a scam as far as stainless steel dent removal goes.