Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Internet & the Web (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Conflict with Internet Explorer (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=546026)

• Jan 20, 2011, 08:00 AM
    this8384
    Conflict with Internet Explorer
    Certain webpages tell me that they're not compatible with Internet Explorer 6 and that I should upgrade. But when I visit Microsoft, it tells me I'm already running Internet Explorer 8 and don't need to upgrade.

Is there something I can do about this? Why are certain webpages not recognizing my browser version but others are?

I used to use Mozilla Firefox but was having problems with pictures and graphics loading; once I switched to IE, they showed up with no problem. Should I just switch back?
  • Jan 20, 2011, 08:02 AM
    Curlyben
    Hmmm interesting.

You have a couple of options, both of which I would try.
    1/ make sure you have all available patches installed
    2/ Try these sites with Firefox, assuming you still have it installed
    OR
    3/ Grab Google Chrome instead.
  • Jan 20, 2011, 08:04 AM
    this8384
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Hmmm interesting.

You have a couple of options, both of which I would try.
    1/ make sure you have all available patches installed
    2/ Try these sites with Firefox, assuming you still have it installed
    OR
    3/ Grab Google Chrome instead.

I heard bad things about Google Chrome... viruses, conflicts, etc. Makes me nervous... :)

I'll see if there are any patches available.
  • Jan 20, 2011, 08:05 AM
    Curlyben
    Chrome, and FF, are massively more secure than IE.
    So no worries there, unless you are doing nefarious stuffs ;)
  • Jan 20, 2011, 12:28 PM
    ITstudent2006

What's funny is at work we have IE6. WE are being directed (by Microsoft and carriers) to go to IE8. We distributed the IE8 install on a single client to test and it installed IE8 but under About Internet Explorer it was still listed as IE6, and we were still receiving the update to IE8 messages!

So needless to say I experienced this same thing yesterday.

What did I do? I reinstalled IE8. When you reinstall IE8 it will remove previous versions and install version 8. Something could have went bad in the install... I say try again!

NOTE: Was the IE8 .exe from Microsoft?
    NOTE2: I have no complaints about Chrome. I absolutely love it!
  • Jan 20, 2011, 01:22 PM
    this8384
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    Whats funny is at work we have IE6. WE are being directed (by Microsoft and carriers) to go to IE8. We distributed the IE8 install on a single client to test and it installed IE8 but under About Internet Explorer it was still listed as IE6, and we were still receiving the update to IE8 messages!

So needless to say I experienced this same thing yesterday.

What did I do? I reinstalled IE8. When you reinstall IE8 it will remove previous versions and install version 8. Something could have went bad in the install....I say try again!

NOTE: Was the IE8 .exe from Microsoft?
    NOTE2: I have no complaints about Chrome. I absolutely love it!

That's the same problem I had a few times; I keep getting told on random websites to upgrade to IE8 but I already did that. And under "About IE" it says I have Version 8.0.6001.18702

And yes, I went directly to Microsoft for my download and installation :) I've installed it at least twice so I don't know what the problem is.

I tried reinstalling Firefox but realized why I switched back to IE: my RSS feeds just show a new link in Firefox but no indication the page has been updated, whereas in IE the link becomes bold when there's been an update.
  • Jan 20, 2011, 01:46 PM
    ITstudent2006

Try deleting history, cookies, Cache etc...

Maybe these website are cached. I am not even sure that would matter but it's all I can think of!
  • Jan 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
    this8384
    Quote:

Try deleting history, cookies, Cache etc...

Maybe these website are cached. I am not even sure that would matter but it's all I can think of!

I should have explained better. The RSS feeds I subscribe to are for court cases; when there's new activity posted to that case, the feed updates. On IE, the link becomes bold so I know there's new info.

On Mozilla, it simply adds another link. Say there's 4 updates to the single page and the court adds new info today; it will add another link showing 5 links to the same page. It's nice when you have a small case but when you have a larger case with lots of info, it's a pain to have to count how many links there are just to determine whether there's been an update or not.

And I run Microsoft Security Essentials, CCleaner and Advanced System Care at LEAST once a week. MSE is set to do a quick scan daily but I'll run a full scan every now and again just to make sure nothing's slipping in.
  • Jan 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
    ITstudent2006

So is your question about IE6/IE8 or RSS Feeds with Mozilla vs IE?

I am unsure what you're trying to figure out.
    1. Why IE8 still receives errors about being IE6 or
    2. RSS Feeds working different in Mozilla then IE
  • Jan 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
    this8384
    Quote:

So is your question about IE6/IE8 or RSS Feeds with Mozilla vs IE?

I am unsure what you're trying to figure out.
    1. Why IE8 still receives errors about being IE6 or
    2. RSS Feeds working different in Mozilla then IE

I never had a question about Mozilla RSS feeds; I just said I didn't like the way they displayed because there's no indication of an update.

I was wondering why I keep being told to upgrade my IE when I already had. I've downloaded it and installed it more than once, cleared my history and cache and cookies... nothing works.
  • Jan 21, 2011, 05:34 PM
    ITstudent2006

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I would suggest searching the forums on Microsoft as I have never heard this before until I happened to me. All I did was reinstall but you have tried that with no luck so I am at a lost.

I too will search and post anything I find.

Good luck!
  • Nov 11, 2011, 08:07 AM
    this8384
    Well, it took almost 10 months - but I finally found the solution!

Some sites say I need to upgrade to IE8, when I already have it. - Microsoft Answers