Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Pest Control (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251)
-   -   Tiny bugs, look like a tiny brain (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=352100)

• May 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
    monkfan
    Tiny bugs, look like a tiny brain
    Hi,
    It is that time of year again and those brain bugs are back. They fly, are kind of grey and don't seem to do much. They are around my bay windows and other sills, one on a wall here and there but not as much as the Bay. I was told once they might be sill bugs.
    Have no idea where they come from, tried many things but they come back. Looked for openings and other areas they might be coming from. Today I wiped the area with bleach and watched for about 1/2 hour, (fun) didn't see them, left for about 10 min came back and there they are, See they are brainy bugs.
    Does anyone know what I can use? I think they are only spring bugs and I am tired of vacuuming them, this happens every year.
    Thank You
  • May 10, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Catsmine
    Do you have a flowerbed/mulch under your bay window? They sound like one of several species of beetle that lives in mulch and flies out to mate and lay eggs. You might try one of the "Water in" insecticides at the base of your foundation wall. Turning any mulch over will prevent decay and disrupt insect habitats.
  • May 11, 2009, 02:45 AM
    monkfan

Good Morning Catsmine,
    No I not have a flower bed under the window.
    I am on the 3rd floor, there are 2 others with bay windows below me. I will ask the first floor if she has this problem today and I will take a picture.
    Have a good day
    Thank you
  • May 11, 2009, 02:53 AM
    Catsmine
    They've got to eat something. Possibly hanging/potted plants might be a source to look for.
  • May 11, 2009, 03:40 PM
    monkfan
    2 Attachment(s)

Hi,
    I am attaching pictures. They are not good ones so I do not think you will be able to tell, they are much smaller than the picture
    Thank you for all your help.Attachment 19677

Attachment 19678
  • May 12, 2009, 02:26 AM
    Catsmine
    Possibly carpet beetles. Quite often they get into upper floors from birds' nests outside. Once they're in they can live quite nicely on organic carpet backing(cotton, sisal,etc.) and need to be eliminated from under the carpets. Are there any small patches of carpet where the fibers are coming loose from the backing? If not they may be simply invading from outside. Is this a better picture?
    Image Search Results
  • May 12, 2009, 05:04 AM
    monkfan

That's it Catsmine thank you.
    They must be coming from outside which is what I thought. I do not have carpet. The pictures I attached were from the window sill.
    So I guess the only thing I can do is wait again for this to pass and keep on vacuuming.
    Thank you again
  • May 12, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Catsmine
    That's why we do this, monkfan. You might look at the roofline/gutters to see if you should ask the landlord/manager about getting them cleaned out. That might get rid of the nests.