Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad.. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=486196)

• Jul 7, 2010, 11:54 AM
    dmtchick1
    I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad..
    I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad... My mother re-married & he husband (stepfather) has been what I consider my father. How can I have my adopted fathers name taken off my birth certificate & add my step fathers name? My mother is now deceased. The adoption was in TN and I now... live in GA. I am 39 years old and have had no contact with my adopted father since 3 years after adoption at the age of 5. I had my name legally changed to my stepfathers last name last year. Can anyone help?
  • Jul 7, 2010, 11:57 AM
    ScottGem

You had your name legally changed already, what more do you want? Wasn't a new birth certificate issued?
  • Jul 7, 2010, 12:00 PM
    Synnen

Adult adoptions are rare, but not unheard of.

I wouldn't recommend doing it without the help of an attorney, but you can do it.

You would need to have your step-father be willing to do so, but you can file paperwork for an adoption at your local family courts.

What I am not sure on is what is going to be different, or what forms might need to be specially filed in an adult adoption.

I really recommend that you contact a family law attorney in your area.
  • Jul 7, 2010, 12:24 PM
    dmtchick1
    Does he have to adopt me in order for his name to be put on my BC? He is very willing to do whatever it takes. I just want him on my BC. To me when he gave me the OK to carry his name that was all the adoption I needed. It just makes me crazy that my adopted fathers name is on the BC. He never earned the right to be my father.
  • Jul 7, 2010, 12:25 PM
    dmtchick1
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    No new Birth certificate was issued upon the name change. And He never earned the right to be my father.
  • Jul 7, 2010, 12:37 PM
    Synnen

A birth certificate is a legal document--and yes, he needs to adopt you for that to happen.

You MUST do that through the courts--the courts are the only ones who can make changes to that legal document.

MOST people don't earn the right to be parents--look at all the dead-beat parents out there. All you have to do be a parent is donate an egg, a sperm, or adopt. You are a parent LONG before you earn the right to be, in most countries in the world.

Feel lucky that you got the step-father you did. It could have been much worse.
  • Jul 16, 2010, 02:43 PM
    dmtchick1
    May thanks for all your answers. The information was very helpful.
  • Jul 16, 2010, 06:01 PM
    Fr_Chuck

In Georgia it is rare that they do any adult adoptions. You would have to find a lawyer willing to try, and have them file for adoption paper work, involving finding the real birth father and getting him to agree.

But honestly a birth certificate is just a paper, it does not mean anything to anyone, expect to prove your name.