Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Cold water in bathroom sink lacks pressure (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=8345)

• Mar 14, 2005, 11:36 AM
    wardster
    Cold water in bathroom sink lacks pressure
    No other outputs affected. Recently, had sprinkler system put in. They cut main line and patched it. At first, lots of muddy water was coming out of sink, toilet and shower. Then all water stopped. They found the debris in the pipe and cleaned it out. All worked well, but now my cold water has no pressure. Cold water works fine in shower and the toilet fills.
    Is there an easy way to 'unclog I assuem, the cold water line?
    Thanks for any help
  • Mar 14, 2005, 01:16 PM
    speedball1
    Cold water in bathroom sink lacks pressure
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wardster
    no other outputs affected. Recently, had sprinkler system put in. They cut main line and patched it. At first, lots of muddy water was coming out of sink, toilet and shower. Then all water stopped. They found the debris in the pipe and cleaned it out. All worked well, but now my cold water has no pressure. Cold water works fine in shower and the toilet fills.
    Is there an easy way to 'unclog I assuem, the cold water line?
    Thanks for any help

You're going to hafta give me more details then that. Are you telling me that the only two fixtures in the entire house that hasn't lost pressure is the shower and toilet? It would seem to me that since the sprinkler guys caused the problem that they should be the ones to fix it, not you.
    The dirt just worked its way up the line and is now blocking the inlet ports on your fixtures. You're going to hafta open up every valve and faucet that has low pressure and check the inlet ports and then flush out the cold water supply. You should also flush,(not drain) your water heater since it's al;so supplied with cold water and dirt and debris will build up on the tank bottom and eventually will find its way into the hotwater lines. Call them back. They didn't complete flushing your lines. In my opinion, when they cut in the tee they should have dug a "bell hole" for the water in the cut line to drain into.
    They didn't and let the muddy water get into your system. Their fault, their responsibility. Regards, Tom
  • Mar 14, 2005, 01:25 PM
    wardster
    Sorry for the lack of info. I'll try to explain further. Yes, I know it's their fault, but I figure it's something easy for me to do, I might as well do it.
    The only fixture in the bathroom now with low pressure is the cold water from the sink faucet. Cold water runs fine in the shower and everywhere else, just this one faucet. Also, hot water runs fine everywhere. It's just the cold water flow from the sink.
    How do you 'flush' the hotwater heater? I'm be real interested in learning more about this.
    Thanks speedball
  • Mar 14, 2005, 01:33 PM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wardster
    Sorry for the lack of info. I'll try to explain further. Yes, I know it's their fault, but I figure it's something easy for me to do, I might as well do it.
    The only fixture in the bathroom now with low pressure is the cold water from the sink faucet. Cold water runs fine in the shower and everywhere else, just this one faucet. Also, hot water runs fine everywhere. It's just the cold water flow from the sink.
    How do you 'flush' the hotwater heater? I'm be real interested in learning more about this.
    Thanks speedball

Turn off the water to the faucet and open it up and check the seats or inlet ports of the cartridge for trash and dirt. Now place a pan over the open valve body to prevent splash and turn on the cold water to flush out the cold water supply line. Reassemble and test.
    Let me show you how to flush your heater. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) and some white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate) or in your case dirt. The whole thing shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Good luck, Tom