Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Printers (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Print Spooler service not working (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=242595)

• Jul 28, 2008, 11:42 AM
    kgorvin
    Print Spooler service not working
    My printer stopped printing. When I checked the printer box it was not there anymore so I tried to add it and I got the error message that my print spooler service was not running. When I go into the spooler service it is stopped. When I try to start it I get the error message that the system cannot find the path specified. I have tried to restore my computer and that hasn't worked I have downloaded all the newest Windows XP updates. I have tried the Hp printer utility but that won't find the printer. I have even gone into th registries and deleted them as the directions from BSanders. I can't figure out what to do Can anyone help?:confused:
  • Aug 3, 2008, 06:22 AM
    donf
    K,

Sorry for the delay in getting to this. Have you gone into the Control Panel's "Add/Remove Hardware" and deleted the printer, if it shows up there?

Did anything odd happen prior to the printer disappearing? Did the printer's icon "Gray" out or did it disappear from the printers screen totally?
  • Aug 3, 2008, 07:21 AM
    kgorvin
    Hi, Yes, it did appear in the add/remove hardware and I have uninstalled and tried to reinstall it. Now I get the error message that the RPC isn't running but when I go into the services it says it is. I've checked the connections to the printer and they are all "working properly"
    I don't think anything unusual happened. My son does use the computer more than I do. He was playing a game called Roblox which I had him remove when the printer stopped. The printer just disappeared.
    A tech guy I know seems to think that I need to reinstall my operating system. That's another issue. This Dell computer didn't come with a systems CD. I'm supposed to get it from the manual icon on my desktop which I can't find. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. Right now I'm ready to blow the whole computer up:eek: :eek:
    Any ideas?:confused:
  • Aug 3, 2008, 10:26 AM
    donf
    Hold it, do not reinstall your platform. Try doing a System Restore. Pick a restore date that is prior to the printer disappearing.

A system restore will protect the data that is already on the PC. Reloading the Operating System will trash the entire disk. Do that as a no other choice!

Under programs >> Accessories>> System Tools >> System Restore.
  • Aug 5, 2008, 04:53 PM
    kgorvin
    Hi I already tried that. I went back to a May date that I was sure was before the printer stopped working. I don't remember the exact words but it told me that I couldn't do that as nothing had changed. I then tried another date and got the same message.
    I think I am at my last resort.
  • Aug 6, 2008, 07:34 AM
    donf
    The error message saying that it can't find the path to the Spooler might be nothing more than a corrupted registry file.

I've got a book on XP. As soon as I find it I'll look for the Print Services Module.

Also, Have you searched the Microsoft Knowledge-base yet? Have you tried to post a thread into the Windows Community Forums? There are some pretty savvy hawks from Microsoft trolling through those forums.
  • Aug 6, 2008, 09:42 AM
    kgorvin
    Hi I have followed BSanders(I think that is the right name) and deleted registry keys and that didn't work. I have also posted to the DELL forum since I have a Dell computer. I will look into the Microsoft site as well. Thanks for trying.
  • Jan 11, 2011, 05:07 PM
    ninjakevin6226
    I don't know but go to this website Check out my whimsical profile on the awesome universe <a href="http://www.roblox.com/User.aspx?ID=8779556&userid=8779556&rbx_source=amb assador&rbx_medium=Direct&rbx_campaign=ambpro">ROB LOX</a>