Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Symmons shower/tub diverter (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=842655)

• Dec 21, 2018, 02:47 PM
    rksjr1
    Symmons shower/tub diverter
    Same situation with Symmons shower/tub diverter as read previously here, except that when I move diverter lever it seems as if the valve isn't opening all the way and I get some water out of shower head, but not full force. If I keep moving lever back and forth from tub to shower, tub to shower, etc, I will sometimes get full flow to shower head, sometimes takes 2 or 3 "back and forths" but lately taking many more and sometimes won't ever get full flow. So I took off the outer portion and inserted screwdriver into diverter hole to engage and get same results, does that mean its something other than the diverter spindle/valve? Do I need to replace the whole thing?
  • Dec 23, 2018, 08:09 AM
    massplumber2008
    The diverter spindle is broken and needs to be replaced.

Remove all of the chrome trim parts and then you will need a 5/16" allen wrench to remove the DIVERTER RETAINER (T-21C) and a 5/16" x 3" LAG BOLT to remove the DIVERTER SPINDLE itself. Although the bolt sounds wrong it is exactly what Symmons recommends.

Remove the T-21C to access the diverter spindle and then You will need to screw the 5/16" lag bolt into the spindle and then give a strong YANK to remove the old spindle (hold valve body here). To install the new spindle you will need to grease (silicone grease) the new spindle at the O-RING to insert it into the valve body... push hard to seat it. Then re-install the retainer (be careful not to drop it... ) and test all.

Questions? Let me know...

Mark

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attach...0-20faucet.jpg
  • Jan 17, 2019, 12:11 PM
    rksjr1
    Thanks so much Mark for your help.. . Only a $7 part - excellent! - changed out the diverter valve, but alas, same as before - not getting full water pressure/flow out of shower head. And now no matter how many times I shift diverter back and forth from tub to shower it won't go to full pressure/flow. What else do you think it could be?

Thanks
  • Jan 17, 2019, 04:56 PM
    massplumber2008
    Did you purchase the white diverter spindle or the black diverter spindle? Since you have a tub and shower valve you needed to purchase the WHITE diverter spindle. Please post back and let me know.

Thanks!

MArk
  • Jan 18, 2019, 07:56 AM
    rksjr1
    Yes, it was the white/cream colored
  • Jan 18, 2019, 08:19 AM
    rksjr1
    It looked exactly the same as the old one I took out, which actually didn't look broken or compromised.
    Bob
  • Jan 18, 2019, 09:58 AM
    talaniman
    To clarify, your reduced water flow is from the shower head NOT the tub spout?
  • Jan 18, 2019, 10:03 AM
    rksjr1
    Correct
  • Jan 18, 2019, 10:18 AM
    talaniman
    Did you try removing the shower head and seeing what the flow is? If you have a full flow, then the showerhead likely needs cleaning with CLR

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CLR-Calci...297e341d476041
  • Jan 18, 2019, 10:25 AM
    rksjr1
    I have removed and inspected showerhead - no issues there. I will get full flow/pressure every once in a while after shifting diverter back and forth from tub to shower. Sometimes happens with 1 or 2 back & forths, sometimes even a multitude of back and forths do not produce full pressure. That's why I was pretty certain it was the diverter, but as I said, when I took out the old diverter, it looked OK, but installed the new one anyway. Don't know what else to try.
  • Jan 19, 2019, 10:15 AM
    talaniman
    The only thing I can think of is an obstruction in the seat or diverter tunnel causing the malfunction of the diverter valve itself. Seems to work great in the spout direction though. I think I would set the diverter manually to shower with a screwdriver after removing the handle to see if that makes any difference and if the handle assembly is okay I would look closer at the diverter seat.

Is there any water from the spout leaking out when you turn the handle to shower?
  • Jan 19, 2019, 03:22 PM
    rksjr1
    Ok, will have to look into that.. . And yes, there is a little water that still comes from tub spout even when shower head is at "full" pressure
  • Jan 19, 2019, 03:50 PM
    massplumber2008
    You will almost always get water from the tub spout when water is diverted to the shower... just how it is with these valves the last decade or two.

Some things to try:

1) Check (or replace) the diverter handle... may be stripped a little and not allowing you to rotate the diverter spindle completely.

2) Remove the diverter spindle and take the end of a metal coat hanger and bend the tip about 1/4" long and stick metal tip into the diverter channel and poke around until the coat hanger tip enters the hole in the channel... clean this hole by moving the tip around.

3) Remove the shower head and attach a hose to the shower arm, next remove the shower diverter spindle and using pressurized air, blow back (or turn water hose on) down through the shower pipe... see if anything comes out (protect eyes).

Finally,

4) You could take the old spindle (or even the new one at $7.00) and drill the shower hole in the diverter spindle a little larger. I've never tried this but I have considered it a couple times. Theoretically, I think this would help!

Mark

PS: there is no diverter SEAT...just the diverter channel.
  • Jan 20, 2019, 06:58 AM
    rksjr1
    Thanks, will check these things out
  • Jan 20, 2019, 08:32 AM
    talaniman
    I was referencing part T-21C in the parts diagram, sorry for the bad nomenclature.
  • Jan 20, 2019, 08:54 AM
    massplumber2008
    Hi T

The T-21C is actually the diverter retainer nut... holds the diverter spindle into the valve body. The diagram above shows it behind the diverter... should be in front of the diverter. Stupid diagram.

Thanks for your help on this one!