Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Emotional Wellbeing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   How can I stop being miserable? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=8587)

• Mar 25, 2005, 04:09 PM
    kitkat405
    How can I stop being miserable?
    A couple months ago I tried to commit suicide by cutting my wrist... :( Now I get so upset so easily, and I cry a lot.What if I try to hurt myself again. I'm only 13. :( I used to go to counseling but now I can't make any appointments because my therapist can't take my insurance.I don't want to be like this, but I can't stop.Am I depressed again? I've tried yoga, meditation, excercising, and many other things but nothing works. What else can I do?My life is starting to fall apart, again.
  • Mar 30, 2005, 07:18 PM
    Rechael
    Be optimistic
    Think about the people all around you, they are all care about you. Otherwise you still have long way to go. Be optimistic and enjoy everything around you. Best Regards. :) :rolleyes:
  • Mar 31, 2005, 09:39 AM
    angelcakes22uk
    Teenage depression
    Clinical Depression is a serious illness that can affect anybody, including teenagers. It can affect your thoughts, feelings, behavior, and overall health.
    Most people with depression can be helped with treatment. But, most depressed people never get the help they need. And, when depression isn't treated, it can get worse, last longer, and prevent you from getting the most out of your life. Remember, you're only a teenager once.
    Having depression doesn't mean that a person is weak, or a failure, or isn't really trying... it means they need TREATMENT.
    What if you're missing all the good things around you? What if your future holds a lot more promise than you think? When you're depressed, you're in a rut, and you can't see anything good. You need to talk to someone who can help you get out of that rut! Don't wait, ask your parents, or your school counselor for help today.
    Sometimes people get seriously depressed after something like a divorce in the family, major financial problems, someone you love dying, a messed up home life, or breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend. Other times, depression just happens. Often teenagers react to the pain of depression by getting into trouble: trouble with alcohol, drugs, or sex; trouble with school or bad grades; problems with family or friends. This is another reason why it's important to get treatment for depression before it leads to other trouble.
  • Apr 22, 2005, 05:17 AM
    LostLoveWithoutACause
    every cloud has a silverlining babe, but yours just happens to be going through a stormy stage.
    firstly, I apologise for my rambling, I write what I think.
    have you any reason to why your depressed or even acting in a suicidal way? I mean your 13 years old and already your expieriencing a lot of hard emotions? Apart from your therapist person have you tried talking to sum one else, like parents, siblings or even a close friend? Try and assess your life into two categories: the good and the bad. Then try looking at why things are bad and how can you change them so your happy again. By the time you've done this esteem check, you should already be feeling a lot better about yourself.
    Let me no how things go.
  • Oct 18, 2007, 01:17 PM
    breyegrl
    You should confide in your guidance counselor at school, he/she should know about different groups that you can go to-to talk about your feelings with other people that are feeling similar. Have you tried finding another therapist that will take your current insurance.
  • Sep 13, 2009, 08:55 PM
    mytopWorld
    4years from your question, how is your day now
  • Sep 22, 2009, 06:09 PM
    SilentScreams

These were all good answers... but I've been told these things my entire life as well. Which of course, I am only 25, but I've been through the whole "seeing the psychiatrist" then my insurance not covering it anymore and the antidepressants thing, it started when I was 12.
    The only true thing that helped me was writing down my feelings. I began to write poetry when I was 12. Regardless why you feel what you do, its what you do that defines who you are, not what you have. A lot of artist have been clinically depressed. We see the world a lot different then other people sometimes. You should use these times to write/paint your way out.
    I use to cut myself too- but that was just a quick fix. Plus, it's often helpful that when something goes right in your life, make a not if it. On one of those *rare* occasions when you feel good for no apparent reason (those are glorious days) you should right them down as well. So when you're sad, you could go through them and understand that it is not the end of the world. Your reality is not always Truth. The mind can lie to you, because it is sick. I o.d. when I was 16 on a bottle of tylenol pm's... I would have died if I had laid down to go to sleep. But I jumped out my second-story window and ran to a friend's house. She took me to the hospital. Life is still rough... but I couldn't imagine not going through the things that I have... the bad was bad, the good was great. I hope you make it through this, because life is worth it... You just have to adjust yourself to the right tune. There will be bad days... create something from them. Hope this helps. :)
  • Aug 27, 2010, 12:02 PM
    Last5
    OK this is ing gay trying to suicide? What the heck are you
    I am miserable I am alone completely with no friends I am 18 years old standing on a computer all day working on my mom's café and exercising so I won't end up like some fatass no I am not ugly and yes I am not happy with what I live but I deal with it suiciding is the last thing that I would even think about yea I want to become happy yea I want to have friends but I won't rely on the afterlife for that I will do my best and even if I fail I will know that I failed trying
  • Aug 27, 2010, 12:02 PM
    Last5
    OK this is ing gay trying to suicide? What the heck are you
    I am miserable I am alone completely with no friends I am 18 years old standing on a computer all day working on my mom's café and exercising so I won't end up like some fatass no I am not ugly and yes I am not happy with what I live but I deal with it suiciding is the last thing that I would even think about yea I want to become happy yea I want to have friends but I won't rely on the afterlife for that I will do my best and even if I fail I will know that I failed trying
  • Aug 30, 2010, 08:15 AM
    eightzeros

Dear kitkat405,

First of all being depressed is no crime :) we are all depressed at some point in a day or in life. For ex. One of my friends is always blue at mornings. I have heard people feeling sad in winters, some before the exams, others when they drive or have to cook a big feast. We all have it in some way or the other.

I am myself depressed & I am seeing a psychiatrist & also a therapist. I am also on zoloft. I am 29 years old & I also had difficulty to reach medical care due to my insurance. Even though I was taking zoloft & had regular visits to the professionals, I ended up committing suicide. It was this June. However, luckily my dad found it out & I was saved in time. My depression got worse to the extent that each day all I could think was how to end myself BUT now I am different.

From June to August, I have improved amazingly, and let me share with you how:

1. Singing: I have a dozen thoughts bothering me, I usually worry a lot but (although I am a poor singer) when I start to sing, I can't think anymore, so please try to sing, sing anything you like.

2. Healing Music: I panic when I have to do any kind of work or be in a stressful situation, so I always play some classical melody in the room before I attempt at doing something. It helps to fall asleep too. You can have plenty on Youtube.

3. Diet: I have made a notebook since June, and I write everything that I eat. Now I can see pattern that when I eat Avocados, Walnuts, drink milk, pepperment tea, eat fruits, I tend to be in better mood. Also eating meat has helped me. I tend to avoid junk food & pasta, because it tends to have influence over my mood. Try to balance your diet.

4. Breathing: this has helped me a lot. Try to close your eyes & relax your limbs, then inhale a deep breath from your nose & after a count of 1,2,3... exhale it from your mouth. Concentrate on your breathing & empty your thought box, repeat the breathing till you feel a bit relaxed. Try it whenever you are feeling blue.

5. Tear newspapers: there are times when I feel helpless without a reason, then I find some old newspapers & tear them into pieces. This takes effort & energy & after tearing several newspapers I feel quiet calm :) you may try this too.

6. Pet: find a pet & take care of it. I have the tendency to focus on myself & in a negative way. I have got a stray cat & I am taking care of it. This helps me in keeping myself busy & focusing on someone else. With depression the problem is that you tend to think negative about yourself, and a pet helps you keep the thoughts a little straight.

7. Writing: it might be tough but try to write, write every day. Write about things you like, things that you think are good in life, in your city, in your country, in world. Actually it requires talent because we can all pick bad to worse things happening around but to find what we consider is GOOD, is actually difficult. By doing more of this, you will realize that after all things are not that bad.

8. Creativity: when you create something with your own hands, you feel that you have accomplished something. It can be anything. I like to cook so sometimes I cook something new. It doesn't come out good but it involves me & I feel that I have at least done something & the result is out there in front of me.

9. Take pictures: this helps too. When you are living a life, after a day or two you only remember big events. By always taking pictures, you tend to capture moments that attract your attention. It could be anything, like taking pictures of flowers, scenery, furniture (lol), food, your wardrobe, anything. The point is to make a scrap book out of it, so when the time passes by & you look at the collection of your pictures, you will automatically remember a little good moment that went by. Pictures help you bring out good memories. Goofy pictures bring smiles :)

And kitkat405, always remember that no matter what, even if the world falls apart, still you will be all right, all will be well. We all do. I have lived a very stressful life & been through a lot in 29 years but I always tell myself that I am going to be all right because I am the one who is going to take good care of myself. Most of the times my mind still runs wild & doesn't believe me, but still I know there will come a day when it will realize that what I am trying to tell it every single day, is actually the answer to happiness.

Best of Luck :)
  • Aug 30, 2010, 08:30 AM
    martinizing2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Last5 View Post
    ok this is ****ing gay trying to suicide? *** are you
    i am miserable i am alone completly with no friends i am 18 years old standing on a computer all day working on my mom's cafe and exercising so i wont end up like some fatass no i am not ugly and yes i am not happy with what i live but i deal with it suiciding is the last thing that i would even think about yea i want to become happy yea i want to have friends but i wont rely on the afterlife for that i will do my best and even if i fail i will know that i failed trying

I am glad no one has posted on this thread for a year before you.
    It leaves little chance for the op or anyone else to see your crude
    Unthinking answer.
    IMO This answer would do more harm than good.

Try taking the foul language out and putting some compassion in.
  • Apr 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
    dollface221
    I was depressed most of my life. I had many reasons. I had been molested as a child, raped as a teenager and ended up in an abusive relationship. Flipping through the t.v. channels I came across some advice from a speaker. He said to take everything that someone did to hurt your feelings and tell them in a letter; Everything that makes you sad, write it in the letter. While you are writing, cry, be sad, be angry or whatever emotion it is that you are feeling. You do not necessarily have to give the letter to the person who made feel anything other than happy, just get it out of you. When you're done, seal the letter and thus seal the pain. Now I know this may sound dorky, but, it worked for me. Years of anger, hurt, regret and pain were gone when I awoke the next day. I have been a much happier person since then. Stop holding it in, Sweetie. You don't want it to take you 30 years to be happy like it did me.