Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Child & Teen Health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Daughter got burn on her foot. Should I take her in to see urgent care? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=831115)

• Mar 13, 2017, 02:58 PM
    Irfrates
    Daughter got burn on her foot. Should I take her in to see urgent care?
    Daughter got burnt on her foot. She told me that she was playing with fire with a stick. Debris or pieces of wood fell and landed on her foot. Her mom told me that my daughter poked herself with a fire stick. It's been over a week and my daughter is complaining of it hurting. Looks red and looks like an open sore. Should I take her to urgent care? Will they give her antibiotics at all?
  • Mar 13, 2017, 05:11 PM
    tickle
    Too long to leave any kind of burn unattended. Take her to urgent care and have it properly diagnosed.
  • Mar 14, 2017, 11:32 AM
    joypulv
    BOTH parents need a book on home health, like every family had years ago. Treating burns can be so easy to do if you know how. FIRST step is to clean out dirt and debris, flush with lots of clear water and a bit of peroxide, wash vigorously around the area of the burn without touching the burn, and applying a triple antibiotic cream and clean gauze, repeating every few hours. If deep and oozing from the start, go to the doctor.

Too late now - sounds infected. GO
  • Mar 14, 2017, 11:50 AM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    BOTH parents need a book on home health, like every family had years ago. Treating burns can be so easy to do if you know how. FIRST step is to clean out dirt and debris, flush with lots of clear water and a bit of peroxide, wash vigorously around the area of the burn without touching the burn, and applying a triple antibiotic cream and clean gauze, repeating every few hours. If deep and oozing from the start, go to the doctor.

Too late now - sounds infected. GO

v

All depends of course on what type of burn. First, second or third. I don't think I would be using peroxide
  • Mar 14, 2017, 12:51 PM
    joypulv
    You are right about peroxide, tickle. It was the doctor's instruction many years ago (50+) on a decubitus that had tunneled to the bone.
    But for this it should be saline or just very mild and small amounts of soap with tons of water for a wound like a second (?) degree burn.
  • Mar 14, 2017, 02:49 PM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You are right about peroxide, tickle. It was the doctor's instruction many years ago (50+) on a decubitus that had tunneled to the bone.
    But for this it should be saline or just very mild and small amounts of soap with tons of water for a wound like a second (?) degree burn.

Yes you are right about the water, lots of very cold water, no ice.
  • Mar 14, 2017, 04:33 PM
    Cat1864
    This is over a week later and still looks "red and like an open sore".

If you haven't already, take her to see a doctor. Burns are notorious for becoming infected.
  • Mar 14, 2017, 06:47 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Open sore after a week, yes a doctor is needed
  • Mar 15, 2017, 05:07 PM
    Alty
    I agree with the others, long past time to see a doctor.
  • Mar 16, 2017, 02:29 PM
    leen321
    Absolutely take her to the doctor. It is very hard to care for a burn on the foot, i.e. keeping it clean, covered, etc. If it feels hot to the touch or is draining, it probably is infected. Still being very red is also a sign of infection. Good luck.