Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Alternative Medicine (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A cold (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=804974)

• Nov 22, 2014, 10:47 PM
    Thinkaboutit
    A cold
    I have a cold my head is all drowsy and my nose won't stop running. I feel yuk! I'm not aloud to take cold and flu tablets so was wondering if anybody has any suggestions about how to feel better.
  • Nov 23, 2014, 07:22 AM
    joypulv
    Why are you not allowed to take any cold/flu medicine? Medical history? Parents (not sure how old you are) don't believe in them?

ALL cold relievers are just for relief; they don't cure a cold. There is no cure.

Home remedies are many. Stay warm! Don't go outside if you don't have to, and bundle up head to toe if you do. Drink TONS of liquids to replenish what you are losing out your nose and from fever. No sodas or junk drinks. Water juices way down with tons of water, or make weak tea with honey and lemon. Make sure there is moisture in the air, because in the winter, dry houses are bad for us. You can lean over a pot of steaming water on the stove twice a day for 10 minutes if you don't have a humidifier. Hang out extra time in the shower, breathing deeply. Brush your teeth and tongue (yes your tongue!) and gargle with warm salted water as many times a day as you can stand. Sleep propped up on as many pillows as you can.
  • Nov 23, 2014, 07:26 AM
    J_9
    Won't they let you take cold meds because of your drug use history? That is understandable.

Drink plenty of fluids and get as much rest as possible.
  • Nov 23, 2014, 01:33 PM
    Thinkaboutit
    No me dad said he'd rather I not take anything which I think is unfair, I'm sick he won't even let me take anything for me throat and I'm in so much pain it hurts every time I swallow. If it gets any worse then I'm going to get something for my throat. Thanks for the advise we have one of those vaporiser things ill put that in me room and try and get some rest. I'd drink lot of fluids but it hurts too much.
  • Nov 23, 2014, 02:29 PM
    Wondergirl
    Salt water gargles, with very warm water.
  • Nov 24, 2014, 09:24 AM
    joypulv
    You didn't mention a sore throat at first! That can be a strep infection. Show it to your dad. If it's just sore from post nasal drip, it won't be red and infected.
  • Nov 24, 2014, 02:41 PM
    Catsmine
    Last century, they advertised hot TANG brand drink mix for a cold and sore throat. It kinda makes sense; warm liquids and vitamin C. Tang tastes like sidewalk chalk, so I tried it with Lemonade mix. It helps a LOT with the sore throat and phlegm in the back of your mouth.
  • Nov 24, 2014, 03:20 PM
    Thinkaboutit
    Thanks my dad got me some mouth gargle stuff makes me throat all numb so I can at least swallow with out it hurting so much. The vaporiser helped me breath a bit better. Thanks