Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   No pressure to cold water in bathtub (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=8993)

• Apr 11, 2005, 05:50 AM
    wonderfulwino
    No pressure to cold water in bathtub
    Hi! I had a Moen Faucet connected in my wife's tub about a year ago. It's been working great but the last three weeks or so It seems the cold water pressure is dropping dramatically. Hot water runs fine. This is the only faucet in the house that has this problem. I've already cleaned the aerator screen. It really wasn't dirty though. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks!!
  • Apr 11, 2005, 07:45 AM
    labman
    Likely it is crud in the line. Start by shutting the water off, the hot too if it is a single handle faucet. Pry the cap off the knob, remove the screw, the knob, and unscrew the nut holding the cartridge in. Pull the cartridge out and fish out any crud you see. Watch the way the cartridge is installed. Put it back in wrong, and you reverse the hot and cold. Now briefly turn the water on. Dirty water and crud should splatter out into the tub. If you now have a good flow of cold water, the problem is fixed and you can put things back together.

If not, the blockage is further back. Next place to check is any stop for the cold. You may have to shut the main valve off for the water. You should be able to unscrew the top of the stop, and again check for crud. This time you won't have the tub to flush water and crud into. Try to set up a bucket or something. If that doesn't fix it, it gets tougher. You will have to check every elbow and the tee where the line to the tub comes off the rest of the water supply.
  • Apr 11, 2005, 11:30 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderfulwino
    Hi! I had a Moen Faucet connected in my wife's tub about a year ago. It's been working great but the last three weeks or so It seems the cold water pressure is dropping dramatically. Hot water runs fine. This is the only faucet in the house that has this problem. I've already cleaned the aerator screen. It really wasn't dirty though. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Labman gave you primo advice, follow it. However I'm a little confused. You say you cleaned the aerator on your wife's tub. The only aerator screens in a bathroom are located on the lavatory faucets. Not that it makes any difference because the answer would be the same on either faucet. It just got me wondering. Cheers, Tom
  • Apr 11, 2005, 01:32 PM
    wonderfulwino
    Speedball this tub does have an aerator screen. I will follow you guy's advice and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help.
  • Mar 31, 2012, 07:14 PM
    george123456
    I have a Glacier Bay one handle bathtub faucets (2006 design). It has hot water, but no cold water. Took faucet out (very easy), there are two 3/8" holes in the center of the rough-in valve. Hot water flows out from the hole on left. No cold water flow from the hole on right. A plumber from Roto-Rooter, Atlanta, suggested cutting dry wall out to check what's wrong on the water line. I did cut the dry wall, and found out cold water supply line was fine. The problem is in the rough-in valve. This type of rough-in valve has a check valve on the cold water side. It can be taken out from bathtub side (no need cutting dry wall). I took it out and cleaned. Water folws well again. What happened was the builder's plumber put too much sealer material on the thread. It blocked check valve on the cold water side. There is no check valve on the hot water side. Also hot water may dissolved sealer easily. It flows out of the faucets easily. It is why only cold water side was clogged. Another note is new Glacier Bay one handle bathtub faucets rough-in valve does not have this check valve.
  • Apr 1, 2012, 03:23 AM
    speedball1
    Hi george and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 7 year old dead thread Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date before you post, Thanks,
    That's why we use Teflon Tape on our threads. We thank you for the update, Regards, Tom