Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Appliances (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Changing belt on maytag dryer (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=171258)

• Jan 11, 2008, 09:47 AM
    margar
    Changing belt on maytag dryer
    The drive belt for the drum broke. We have the front off and pulled out the old belt. We looked to see where it rides on the drum before we removed it. Now what do we do? My husband thinks we have to loose the screws that hold the drum in place and put the belt over the drum that way. The pulley is at the bottom back of the drum and looks like it would be hard to reach. The back of the dryer or the top do not come off the best we can tell. Any help for me? Thanks:D
  • Jan 11, 2008, 09:59 AM
    esquire1
    The drum will have to be removed to replace belt. They are trickey and difficult to replace belt around the pulley on maytags
  • Jan 11, 2008, 01:13 PM
    margar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by margar
    the drive belt for the drum broke. we have the front off and pulled out the old belt. we looked to see where it rides on the drum before we removed it. now what do we do? my husband thinks we have to loose the screws that hold the drum in place and put the belt over the drum that way. the pulley is at the bottom back of the drum and looks like it would be hard to reach. the back of the dryer or the top do not come off the best we can tell. any help for me?? thanks:D

I had to respond. We got the dryer back together and it is running.. hurrah!! After we took off the front and marked the wired we had to unconnect, the drum and the lint filter all came out together. Then, I had a chance to vacumn all the lint out. We put the new belt over the drum taking up the slack with a rubber band, so it would stay in place. Slid the drum back into place being careful the felt liner was on the outside of the drum, like it was before. Then, we reapplied the lint filter piece, making sure the felt again was in place. Attached everything back to the frame with screws. Then we pulled the dryer out from the wall further and took off the vent on the back side. We could reach the pulley assemblies quit easily. I reached in and turned the drum until the rubber band came around until we could reach in and pull the rubber band off and free up the belt. Then, we used the picture that was on the belt package, and positioned it as shown.. we turned the drum so the belt would ride on the drum in the same position. We could see where it had been before. Connected the 3 wires we had to take off, put the front back on, tried it. The vent back on the back. And rejoiced because we just saved ourselves $150 for service. By the way, the smooth side of the belt goes against the drum, that way the grooved side fits in the motor pulley which is grooved also. I sure hopes this helps someone else who had the same problems... margar
  • Jan 18, 2011, 02:43 PM
    BrianVicars
    Comment on margar's post
    Interesting that my belt on MDG5500AWW is grooved on both sides. Since mine was only slipping, I turned the belt over and it's now fixed.