Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Medical Science (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   My uncle is diagnosed with Glaucoma, help! (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=820497)

• Jan 13, 2016, 03:27 PM
    kev_888
    My uncle is diagnosed with Glaucoma, help!
    My uncle had recently been diagnosed with Glaucoma and his doctor has suggested three kinds of drugs to treat his condition which are: Timoptic XE, Istalol, and Betoptic S. However, these drugs could be risky as he is obese, suffers from diabetes type II, and has a family history of cancer and heart disease. Please help! I'm no doctor here and I'm not sure which drug out of those three would be the best to use. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
  • Jan 13, 2016, 03:36 PM
    Wondergirl
    The doctor left it up to you or your uncle to choose one of the three? Does the doctor know your uncle's medical history?
  • Jan 13, 2016, 03:42 PM
    kev_888
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The doctor left it up to you or your uncle to choose one of the three? Does the doctor know your uncle's medical history?

Yes, basically the doctor suggested us with the three and we did talk to the doctor about it.
  • Jan 13, 2016, 03:58 PM
    talaniman
    The doctor is the only one qualified to make such a choice and I find it really odd he would leave that choice up to unqualified laymen such as you or your uncle. I would seek a second opinion from a more professional doctor myself.
  • Jan 13, 2016, 04:30 PM
    kev_888
    Well the only reason I came here for online help is because we are currently unable to seek another doctor at the moment and we don't live close to one. I don't have a drivers license. My uncle does but he can't drive anymore because of his problem he can't see well.
  • Jan 13, 2016, 04:35 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kev_888 View Post
    Well the only reason I came here for online help is because we are currently unable to seek another doctor at the moment and we don't live close to one. I don't have a drivers license. My uncle does but he can't drive anymore because of his problem he can't see well.

Do you have a phone? Call the doctor. Remind him about your uncle's medical situation and ask him to prescribe the best drug for him.

How will you go to the pharmacy?
  • Jan 13, 2016, 04:50 PM
    Alty
    There are no doctors on this site, not a single one. Even if there were, without knowing your Uncles medical history, there's no way a doctor could even give an educated guess on which medication would be best.

The doctor that is actually seeing your Uncle would be the best person to make the decision on which medication he should be taking. The fact that he left the decision up to your Uncle, means you need to find a better doctor!
  • Jan 13, 2016, 08:25 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    It is the doctors job to decide what is best. Other determining factors are often, which medication is affordable, does health insurance pay for any of them. I have had to change medication for those reasons in the past.

But in the end, the doctor, (at least any I have ever had in America) always told you which they felt was best.