Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Weddings (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=352)
-   -   How to word the wedding invite when grooms parents aren't contributing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=394194)

• Sep 7, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Wendell111
    How to word the wedding invite when grooms parents aren't contributing
    We have a sticky situation. We need suggested wedding invititation wording for when the brides father is deceased, and the grooms parents are not contributing to the wedding, but the bride and groom, and the mother of the bride are. The Grooms parents will be insulted if they are not listed on the invitation. We have noticed there are no samples for this scenario, and the bride also wants to know if it is appropriate to list her father in some capacity.

Thanks.
  • Sep 7, 2009, 07:00 AM
    danielnoahsmommy

I would word it the same as if they were contributing to the wedding. If you don't it would create hostility. Not a nice way to start a new life
  • Sep 7, 2009, 07:06 AM
    excon

Hello W:

I had no idea who you invite to a wedding had any connection with who paid for the wedding... I STILL don't have that idea.

Maybe some people who've actually HAD a wedding should answer. I haven't... But, if the rules you cite are the REAL rules, it's NO wonder I never had a wedding.

excon
  • Sep 10, 2009, 10:18 AM
    aliseaodo

I just found this - it sounds pretty good, and the fact that the bride and her mother are introduced first shows who is "throwing" the wedding. Example:

Michelle Taylor
    Daughter of Mrs. Sarah Taylor and the late Mr.Taylor
    And
    John Parker
    Son of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Parker
    Request the honour of your
    Presence at their marriage
    Saturday, the first of March
    Two thousand fourteen
    At half past two o'clock in the afternoon
    Victorian Gardens
    1564 Lane Street
    Austin, Texas 35984
  • Sep 10, 2009, 10:30 AM
    aliseaodo

I just put in the above example, and I was thinking about it -normally, the Grooms parents don't contribute. Traditionally, the Grooms parents handle the rehearsal dinner - and the grooms tux, of course. You might be able to just use a traditional wedding invitation - one that aknowledges that the brides father is deceased. How important is it that the guests are aware that you are contributing as well? If you want to make that apparent in the invitations, a traditional one might not work - maybe the example in the above post might work...
  • Sep 14, 2009, 08:42 AM
    The D-Tales

The Groom's parents are not normally part of the wedding financial contributors. They usuallyy are responsible for the Rehearsal Dinner. Traditional wording applies to this, where the Brides family (the hosts of the event) invites the guests and the groom's parents are not listed on the invitation.

Most of the invitation companies will give you some options that are standard. If I can offer any more advice, don't hesitate to reach out to me. :o